• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Is my Compaq Portable repairable?

sicilian_kan

Hi all,

First post here. I have a Compaq Portable 286 computer. One of the plug in portable computers, where the screen and drives are hidden behind the keyboard. It is the CGA greenscale version. This computer worked for some time excellently. However it has now stopped working. There was a small noise, almost like a static noise, and the whole machine just cut out once when I was using it. Is there a likely solution for this to get it working again? Something I can try? Any help would be much appreciated - it is a much loved machine and would be shame to just sell it for parts.

Best wishes,

sicilian_kan

Your description is not particularly detailed, but that kind of failure mode could indicate a blown fuse or perhaps that one of the voltage lanes went bad, e.g. because of a blown capacitor in the PSU. If it is the fuse, however, the root cause is likely a short circuit somewhere else in the system.

My suggestion is: Check the fuse for continuity and look for bulging capacitors.

Everything is repairable.. So there you go. Easy answer.

The early Compaq portable Line is notorious for having tantalum capacitors Burn/explode on the mainboard (and some cards as well-Video/hdd floppy controller. They are usually pretty obvious when they burn as in there will be burn holes on them or they will be in pieces or missing. You need to take it apart and look.. Photos help.

Dont waste your time looking for swollen electrolytic capacitors, you aren't going to find any.

A "static noise", at least suggests a visual inspection might turn up a physically damaged component, which might be someplace to start. If it does not power up, that could suggest something has changed to a "shorted" condition.

So a visual inspection of components, check power rails on the motherboard for shorts using an ohm meter, try as minimal of a configuration as possible. To properly track things down you might need some other tools and spare parts. But many failures in these things are things that people here can often fix.

I'm in the same boat Sicilian_Kan. My Compaq Portable 286 should be here next week. Verault has warned me about the capacitors.
I'll have to do a tear down and take pictures of where I find them and maybe their values if possible.
Keep in touch where you are with your computer and I'll try and do the same.

Back