• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Samsung SyncMaster 3Ne won't display (Model CVP4237P)

twillkickers

Experienced Member
My only 9 pin monitor seems not to be working! I've connected two of my devices to it and it seems to recognize it is getting a signal (the front light goes solid instead of blinking when the source is powered on.) However, Nothing ever shows up on the screen. I've turned all the adjustment knobs and see nothing. I had this happen before on my Ms Pac Man cocktail table and replacing the flyback transformer fixed the issue! I took this apart to see if the flyback looked OK and I'm not sure... I've attached photos and would love to know what you guys think. Not sure if some areas are exploded sludge or just caulk/glue. In addition to all that, if it IS bad, I'm not sure where to buy a new one of these! Is this a standard model that I can buy somewhere? I'm looking forward to hearing everyone's thoughts!

Possible Goo.jpg
Possible Goo 2.jpg
Possible Goo 3.jpg
Flyback Nameplate.jpg
Monitor Front Name.jpg
Monitor Rear Nameplate.jpg

See if you can find the SyncMaster 3Ne Service Manual. Some of the SyncMaster service manuals (not user manual) have very detailed troubleshooting information. I can't seem to find a site that has a proper PDF version off hand.

There is a good chance it may not even be the HVU at all.

BTW, they often do put glue on the knobs to prevent them from turning after they are factory set.

Thanks for the input. I am unable to find a manual online for sale or otherwise. Any other ideas?

If someone knows how I can match a flyback to this monitor I'd like to know as well. Since I have the thing open already I'd like to see if a replacement does anything.

There is a good chance it may not even be the HVU at all.
Agreed.

If someone knows how I can match a flyback to this monitor I'd like to know as well. Since I have the thing open already I'd like to see if a replacement does anything.
The flyback transformer's label includes "FTX-14A015". FTX-14A015 is a likely part number. For example, FTX-14A015 appears in a 'Samsung Part Number Catalog' on a request-a-quote type website at [here].

I'm curious as to why you refer to this as a 9 pin monitor, it's a VGA monitor right ?
Which devices have you attached to it ?

I call it a 9 pin because it has a DB9 connector and that's it. I can't find any documentation on it to see if it supports VGA or not - I've been searching a bit on the internet with no results.

I've connected it to an old Zenith laptop's 9 pin external monitor port and the 9 pin output on my Applied Engineering PC Transporter card with no results on either device. Screen just stays blank.

I have searched for the number on the flyback transformer's label and haven't found anything, which is why I'm wondering if there's a good method for finding an equivalent.

As far as those request-a-quote websites go, they usually don't have any parts in stock, especially vintage ones. I've been in this situation before with other vintage parts and I either get no reply or a reply saying "sorry we sold out of that back in 1987" if I am lucky.

Any advice is appreciated! Also if someone knows where any documentation for this monitor is I'd be grateful. Even a user's manual listing display modes would be nice. I don't think this was a particularly common or popular monitor because there's almost no info out there on Google!

There's a Syncmaster 3 user manual located here : https://www.manualslib.com/manual/14...cmaster-3.html
I'm wondering if that's the same as the 3NE model ?

On Page 6 it mentions VGA support and a special cable......

This monitor can be connected to any IBM compatible analog display adapter. Such adapters include VGA, 8514/A, XGA, and the built-in video system of IBM PS/2 computers and compatibles.

Connect the 9-pin side of the signal cable to the 9-pin D-SUB connector on the rear side of the monitor.

Connect the 15-pin side of the signal cable to the video output port of your video controller.

I call it a 9 pin because it has a DB9 connector and that's it. I can't find any documentation on it to see if it supports VGA or not - I've been searching a bit on the internet with no results.

I've connected it to an old Zenith laptop's 9 pin external monitor port and the 9 pin output on my Applied Engineering PC Transporter card with no results on either device. Screen just stays blank.

I have searched for the number on the flyback transformer's label and haven't found anything, which is why I'm wondering if there's a good method for finding an equivalent.

As far as those request-a-quote websites go, they usually don't have any parts in stock, especially vintage ones. I've been in this situation before with other vintage parts and I either get no reply or a reply saying "sorry we sold out of that back in 1987" if I am lucky.

Any advice is appreciated! Also if someone knows where any documentation for this monitor is I'd be grateful. Even a user's manual listing display modes would be nice. I don't think this was a particularly common or popular monitor because there's almost no info out there on Google!

Just because it has a 9-pin socket does not mean it works with PC's with a similar connector, Monitors come in many types. Vintage CRT types for PCs are usually MDA, CGA, EGA or VGA/SVGA. The first three all use a 9-pin connector but the monitors are not compatible. Plugging an MDA monitor into a CGA card will result in sadness and may cause the escape of smoke.

The last, VGA uses a 15-pin connector on the PC but it was a high density three-row connector and so expensive and also harder to mount on a PCB. You can get away with 9-pins, and so to save money and make PCBs easier to make many VGA monitors came with a 9-pin D-Type. They only work with a special 9-pin to 15-pin cable. Not all are the same, but usually all Samsungs are the same.

So your Monitor is not a "9-pin" monitor, it should have 9-pin to 15-pin lead and is VGA/SVAG only

https://www.cnet.com/products/samsung-syncmaster-3-display/

Just because it has a 9-pin socket does not mean it works with PC's with a similar connector, Monitors come in many types. Vintage CRT types for PCs are usually MDA, CGA, EGA or VGA/SVGA. The first three all use a 9-pin connector but the monitors are not compatible. Plugging an MDA monitor into a CGA card will result in sadness and may cause the escape of smoke.

The last, VGA uses a 15-pin connector on the PC but it was a high density three-row connector and so expensive and also harder to mount on a PCB. You can get away with 9-pins, and so to save money and make PCBs easier to make many VGA monitors came with a 9-pin D-Type. They only work with a special 9-pin to 15-pin cable. Not all are the same, but usually all Samsungs are the same.

So your Monitor is not a "9-pin" monitor, it should have 9-pin to 15-pin lead and is VGA/SVAG only

https://www.cnet.com/products/samsung-syncmaster-3-display/

Thank you mikey99 and g4ugm for the help! Hopefully I didn't destroy anything. I'll put the monitor back together and try to find said cable (or make one according to that manual.) Hopefully the manual is similar enough to my current model of monitor. I believe it's possible that it is. Then I can use this for SVGA machines.

As to getting a display from my CGA cards I'm going to go ahead and pick up one of these guys because apparently none of my monitors are old enough. https://www.serdashop.com/MCE2VGA

Put everything back together and connected it to a VGA output on my Windows 98 machine outputting 1024x768. I used a 9 pin to 15 pin adapter that matched the pinouts in the manual below:

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/145641/Samsung-Syncmaster-3.html?page=12#manual

Still no result, screen is blank. The monitor's LED does glow green so I know it is getting a signal. Adjusted brightness and contrast knobs to no avail. Still thinking it might be the flyback. Anything else I should try before I throw this thing in the trash?

Are you certain you are feeding it a refresh rate that is compatible with that monitor? Try different resolutions, including text and default VGA. Most Windows 98 era video cards don't screw around with text mode, but newer cards may try to upscale text modes to absurdly high resolutions so they look better on lame LCD monitors.

Is the CRT filament glowing? I don't know if this specific model goes in to "power saver" mode like later CRTs do.

I still strongly suspect some kind of signal input problem. Ideally I'd check the various power levels on the PCB, but you would need a service manual to know what was what.

Back