• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Recapping an old Compaq Portable

fluxcap

I have a Compaq Portable and am new to "recapping" old equipment. I got the Sams Computerfacts for the machine (to be clear it's a Compaq Portable Plus - which is pretty much identical to the original areCompaq Portable).

And I'm very new to all of this. The hard part for me is matching the capacitor to it's new replacement cap. And (again please forgive me I am new) there are different types of capacitors - I was planning on replacing all capacitors in the PSU, crt board, video/cga card and the motherboard. I know there are different types of capacitors, but that's all I know - I don't know what types they are.

Ideally I would be replacing the capacitors with the best brand, with the best quality/reliability with the longest life.

Any advice on how to approach this would be greatly appreciated.

As with most of us here...I subscribe to the theory of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it.". Having said that, there's a half decent explanation on a different forum (though some types don't apply to PCs).

https://antiqueradio.org/recap.htm

And there's literally hundreds of thousands of different values/types the main rule is to stick with the same type and capacity. Electrolytics can't be replaced with non-electrolytics. Voltage for the new capacitor can be higher to a point, but there's some cases where that rule doesn't apply either (larger-voltage capacitors are usually also physically bigger). Also, you need to have good soldering skills to attempt any of this, so make sure you practice on something else if they're not up to snuff.

And (probably most important)... make sure everything is discharged before beginning.

Last edited:
Thank you TRA for the reply - it's greatly appreciated!

I agree as well re: if it's not broke don't fix it, but I am new to repairing vintage electronics and I have an issue with the CRT when it's in CGA mode (when it's running at max power) and I imagine it's bad caps. Plus when I read the ratings on them their lifespan has low hour ratings, and considering this PC was likely run a lot and is ~30 years old I imagine it's only a matter of time before they go out.

That link was great to read - my take away is: only replace electrolytic capacitors that are polarized. I noticed the boards have a lot of tantalum capacitors, which are recommended for replacement.

And thank you on matching type and capacity. I imagine I won't find exact replacements (hence the "if it's not broke don't fix it".

I also have the Sams Computerfacts for this board, and some diagrams are difficult to read. I will likely come back to this thread and update with any caps I can't truly identify.

Again thank you so much! Super excited for this project.

I also generally agree with "if it ain't broke, don't fix it.". The exception might be the high voltage RFI capacitors. Those should be replaced if possible. I have been meaning to do that on my Compaq Portable, but the power supply is impossible to get to unless the entire unit it totally disassembled. Even if you think it really needs it, it is probably best to start with the high-frequency capacitors in the power supply and the CRT analog board. Very little reason to mess with anything on the motherboard or cards unless there is a specific problem.

Some machines like early Macintosh or IBM PS/2 floppy drives have known issues with "leaky" or crappy capacitors that must be addressed. I've never heard of any specific issues with the Compaq Portable/Plus.

So a few things to keep in mind:
-There is a high risk of botching solder pads, traces, or vias when de-soldering components.
-Damage can occur if the wrong component is used or if it is installed wrong.
-Some systems may have errors in their schematics, PCB silk-screen, or on component labeling. (There was a thread recently about an Apple IIc CRT that had a capacitor marking backwards)
-Vendors sometimes selected individual parts based on their own tests of unlabeled properties. You may have no way to know what those properties were. (a bigger issue with ICs)

At any rate, I happened to be repairing a damaged CRT board on another luggable, I was looking up components the other day, so here are my thoughts.

Yes, places like Mouser may have many part numbers for the same rated item. It can be very confusing. It may be different for something as minor as packaging. For hobbyists it doesn't matter if a part is individual bulk or on an ammo-pack strip, but for others that is important.

Brand: Any of the major Japanese bands are fine.

Form/Termination style: Surface mount, radial, axial, etc. For vintage purposes, usually simple radial or axial. Wrong one just won't fit.

General type: Watch out for bi-polar capacitors. (They are all off their meds :p )

Capacitance rating: Nothing odd here.

Voltage rating: Generally use the same rating. If needed, or desired you can bump the rated voltage up a notch as long as the part will still fit. Keep in mind that an original part installed may have already been bumped up due to supply.

Operating Temperature: Usually 85C for vintage needs. Generally use the same rating. Bumping it up won't hurt, as long as the part fits. Again, original installed parts may have been bumped up due to supply.

Tolerance: Usually 20%, this is not always on a capacitor label. Going higher won't hurt.

Length/width/diameter/lead spacing: Newer capacitors may be smaller than older capacitors. Some capacitors may be intentionally designed to be taller or wider for specific installation environments. If the lead spacing differs from the PCB it won't sit flush against the PCB - usually only an issue or larger capacitors or when there is limited space.

Series: Not important to us.

Ripple current: Higher is "better" but usually does not matter for vintage stuff.
Life rating: A longer usage life rating is nice, but not too important for something that is only turned on occasionally.
Certifications: Doesn't matter at all for vintage needs.

Leakage Current: Lower better. Anything new should be good enough for anything used in vintage stuff.

There might be supply issues on some parts. So they might have the "perfect" matched part listed but out of stock. They also tend to list non-stocked and obsolete items for reference that are not carried any more and will not be stocked.

On Mouser's web site, you can do a "side by side" comparison to help show you the minute differences. Other sites may not be as friendly.

Thank you SomeGuy - that was an awesome and helpful reply. I hope this thread can help someone else like me in the future curious about Compaq Portables (or vintage equipment in general).

... the power supply is impossible to get to unless the entire unit it totally disassembled.
Yes indeed! I bought mine off eBay about a month ago and I wanted to clean/inspect every piece of the machine. It was quite cool; as a kid having one and I wouldn't dare do anything more than say change cards or upgrade RAM but now without fear I can see every square inch. Mine is currently in a state where getting the PSU out was only as hard as finding a way to turn the pin in the bottom left that holds the board to the chassis.

Very little reason to mess with anything on the motherboard or cards unless there is a specific problem.
Thank you I was about ready to do everything. The Sams Computerfacts has replacement parts that make it a bit easier to find parts, but re: your "So a few things to keep in mind:" thoughts, I think I will pass on this unless there is a need. Plus these are some of the easiest boards to take out.

For hobbyists it doesn't matter if a part is individual bulk or on an ammo-pack strip
Is this, for example w/ ammo-pack strips, you can be sure the manufacturing run for one component would be close to identical for another component? Is that the reason someone would care about that? If not, why?

Operating Temperature: Usually 85C for vintage needs.
I'm finding so far in the PSU may of the caps are wanting 105C.

If the lead spacing differs from the PCB it won't sit flush against the PCB.
I'm also finding that many of the cans/caps have a lead spacing of 8mm, and the closest I can find on Digikey for example are 7.5mm.

Life rating: A longer usage life rating is nice, but not too important for something that is only turned on occasionally.
Another really good point I considered, but after hearing you say that you're right - it's nice but not super important.

Ripple current: Higher is "better" but usually does not matter for vintage stuff.
That's good to know, I wasn't sure what to do for this until now.

Again thank you - your help and thoughts are allowing me to actually complete this.

Oh SomeGuy, should I think about impedance? I see values from like 38-65 mOhms (sometimes not even stated). Is this is something of importance? And would this (or any other property) be any different for PSU caps vs say the CRT analog board caps?

I don't believe that any impedance difference between similarly speced new capacitors is of significant importance for anything that would be used in a Compaq Portable or similar vintage computer.

is this, for example w/ ammo-pack strips, you can be sure the manufacturing run for one component would be close to identical for another component? Is that the reason someone would care about that? If not, why?
You can feed an ammo-pack directly in to mass production equipment for automated assembly. If you buy 10000 capacitors to make 10000 PCBs, you don't want to feed each component in individually. That is why someone would care about that.

With small cheap components, the alternative is usually "bulk" packaging, which may mean just a huge box filled haphazardly with a few hundred of a specific part.

Of course, there is no problem just buying one or two components from an ammo pack as long as the seller, such as Mouser, permits a minimum purchase of 1 component (otherwise it will say minimum order 500 for a pack/reel, or something like that). For places like Mouser, it is often easier for them just to get the ammo packs from the component manufacturers and sell a few components to individuals from that pack.

I also have a Compaq Portable. Tasks on my to-do list include re-capping the monitor and power supply along with replacing the noisy fan. I've also read recommendations to replace all the tantalum caps on the motherboard.

Fluxcap, let's not use the PM system for this. The PM system on this forum is very badly broken. I was briefly able to see your message but I can't pull it back up right now.

I believe you had a question about a couple of polystyrene capacitors on your CRT board. I'm afraid that I actually don't know what would make a suitable replacement. It sort of sounds like other "film" type capacitors might work, but I just don't know. Unfortunately in analog applications like this small differences in a capacitor's properties can be a major issue. I'd actually like to know the answer to this as well, as I am repairing a damaged CRT board that has several of those polystyrene capacitors.

Another issue you might run in to is the HUGE bipolar deflection capacitor. They also don't make those any more. Confusingly the markings on these don't give any indication as to its special purpose. If you order a replacement based on those markings you will only find tiny little capacitors. These large bipolar electrolytic deflection capacitors were specifically designed to dissipate heat. Put something small in there, and it may overheat and not last very long. I also don't have any great answer for this one.

The big problem I am having with my own repair is replacing a damaged inductor. And I know squat about those. There is no rating on it, I'm not sure I could even measure it properly since it is broken, if it was labeled with a rating that part is broken off, I have no schematics for a CDP VP 1600, and similar schematics NEVER list the inductor ratings. Arrrag.

SomeGuy:
Another issue you might run in to is the HUGE bipolar deflection capacitor. They also don't make those any more.
I assume you're referring to C441, 50v 6.8uF Bi-Polar? Would this not work: https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/nichicon/UDB1H6R8MHM1TO/4333106 . It does say "Applications: Audio" - I don't know if that would make a difference. Size wise the cap is very similar in size to the original I pulled (~10mm in height smaller, and ~4mm in diameter smaller).

I'd actually like to know the answer to this as well, as I am repairing a damaged CRT board that has several of those polystyrene capacitors.
I'll ask the person of the blog/thread I linked to you in PM to see if they can share what they used to replace it with.

MNrocketry:
I also have a Compaq Portable. Tasks on my to-do list include re-capping the monitor and power supply along with replacing the noisy fan. I've also read recommendations to replace all the tantalum caps on the motherboard.

As stated by others in this thread "if it isn't broken don't fix it"; the PSU and CRT board are quite hard to get to but the VDU is super easy, and the motherboard not too difficult. I would recommend the electrolytics on the PSU and while you're in there the CRT board - then wait for the others to actually go bad. That's my advice, but you're right there are tantalum caps on both the motherboard and VDU as well.

Well, an audio application is a lot different from deflection. That at least looks like a slightly larger capacitor than some others. I doubt it would work for long, but you could try it and see how much it heats up. cap size difference.jpg

Both of these are allegedly 10uf 35v, so just to experiment, I tried that smaller one in my CDP VP CRT board. While it technically functioned, it got really, really, really, hot and would not have lasted very long. I didn't feel like having something else explode today, so I turned it off and put the large one back.

That audio application cap might do a hair better, but I have a hard time imagining it would not still overheat and fail after a while.

A suggestion on another site theorized that taking two high-temperature extra long life rated normal polarized capacitors of twice the uf rating (because two in series halves the capacitance) and hook them in series with either the positives or negatives hooked together. I guess two hooked up like that would effectively create a bi-polar capacitor? No idea how well that would actually work.

Now, that other link you posted for the smaller caps actually says the dielectric is Polystyrene, so those look like they should be suitable replacements for the Polystyrene capacitors, if the capacitance rating matches.

compaq inductor.png
I happened to notice the inductor on the Compaq Portable CRT board seems to look similar to the damaged one on my CDP VP CRT board.The Compaq Portable schematics I have found don't list the uH rating or maximum amperage.

vp crt inductor.jpg
This is the broken one on my CDP VP CRT board. Anyone care to guess the ratings?

SomeGuy -

I looked at the Sams COMPUTERFACTS (aka Service Manual) and I'm unsure on the rating and it's not explicitly listed afaict.

I've linked some of the manual, maybe these will help you (it's L402 if I'm not mistaken):
Screen Shot 2021-07-21 at 8.28.52 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-07-21 at 8.31.51 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-07-21 at 8.28.52 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-07-21 at 8.28.52 PM.png
    32.7 KB · Views: 1
Well, an audio application is a lot different from deflection. That at least looks like a slightly larger capacitor than some others. I doubt it would work for long, but you could try it and see how much it heats up.

Both of these are allegedly 10uf 35v, so just to experiment, I tried that smaller one in my CDP VP CRT board. While it technically functioned, it got really, really, really, hot and would not have lasted very long. I didn't feel like having something else explode today, so I turned it off and put the large one back.

Audio grade capacitors are not much different from normal general purpose capacitors, so no they will never work in a deflection circuit.

The only substitute I've found for a horizontal deflection capacitor are polypropylene microwave film capacitors. These are different from normal polypropylene caps in that they're rated for extremely high frequencies. Here's one I've used on a Macintosh SE analog board and it works fine. Unfortunately, these are not available in very high capacitance ranges, and top out at 6.8 uF. You can series/parallel them to get higher capacitance, but size starts to become a problem.

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/667-ECW-F2395JA

GiGaBiTe, great suggestion. I had not thought to look at "microwave" rated stuff.

Fluxcap, yea I saw the schematics, the entire problem is they don't list the values in there or even have the values printed on the components. I did try a 22uH inductor that seemed to function closely but it heated up very quickly, I guess because it was too small and not rated for that amperage. Unfortunately, higher amperage ones are more expensive so I don't want to just randomly buy parts for experimentation.

The bipolar capacitors used as H yoke coupling capacitors were chosen for a few reasons, cheaper than oil filled or film capacitors of the same uF value, needed to be non polar. The primary requirement is is a very low ESR. Even 0.5 to 1 Ohm can have detrimental effects on the H scan linearity and result in capacitor heating as the H scan currents are relatively high. Some of the H yoke coupling caps, that physically resembled bipolar electrolytics, were in fact oil filled, you have to cut them open to find out. They seldom fail and if the measure ok on the capacitance & ESR meter and have low ESR and leakage, there is no need to replace them.

The main requirement of an H yoke coupling cap (which also provides the S correction function and DC blocking), aside from the suitable uF value and voltage rating is a very low ESR. So film capacitors, are suitable, if their internal construction has the foils of each layer, metal bonded to each other, and to the lead in wires. Many are like this these days, Wima caps were generally constructed this way, it just pays to check the data sheet on the particular capacitors. For example, typically 5 to 10uF motor run film caps and oil filled capacitors are always constructed in this low ESR manner. A film capacitor is nearly always superior to a bipolar electrolytic and has a lower ESR, not necessarily superior to an oil filled type.

Back