• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Examples of CPU Demanding/Graphically Impressive EGA Games?

willmurray461

Experienced Member
Generally speaking, what are some examples of the most graphically impressive or processor intensive EGA games? I've been looking around, and so far have found games like Vette and Stunts, but was wondering what others might be out there...

Overkill is a pretty good-looking shmup that juggles a lot of stuff onscreen pretty handily on pretty much any 286 system, but I'm not aware of too many EGA games overall that sold on glitz; by the time anyone was looking at pushing the envelope on EGA, VGA was already taking over as the de facto standard. I am a little curious if there were any titles that made use of custom EGA palettes or 640x350 graphics.

I've always found the EGA artwork in LOOM and Secret of Monkey Island to be very impressive, particularly the artists' use of dithering. But the art in those games was mostly static backdrops, so it wasn't very CPU demanding at all.

I used to play F-29 Retaliator on a 286 with VGA and it was doing surprisingly good realtime 3D rendering. Didn't feel sluggish at all. I've seen comments that claim this was actually an EGA game, and that its speed came from using graphics write mode 2, which let the game write a solid colour fill to 8 pixels at a time. (When I get my RGBI monitor fixed I want to see if it really does run on EGA and if so, how fast it plays on a V20 at 10mhz.)

Back