• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Microsoft Mouse Setup

Swamp_Donkey

I'm having the dangedest time trying to set this thing up and I want to make sure I'm doing this right before I go out and buy a new mouse.

I've got a mouse that is not detected by my PC AT. I'm using just the standard IBM serial card. The mouse cord has good continuity.

Whenever I try to install the DOS or windows driver, it tells me that there is no mouse found.

Haven't set up a serial mouse before, is there something obvious I'm overlooking here? Do I need the actual Microsoft card that went with the mouse?

Haven't set up a serial mouse before, is there something obvious I'm overlooking here? Do I need the actual Microsoft card that went with the mouse?

So... what model of mouse do you have here? Only very old Microsoft "bus mice" (The so-called "Green-Eyed Mouse") used a nine pin connector that you could mistake for a serial plug; later MS Bus Mice used the "InPort" connector which was a small round DIN connector similar-but-not-identical to a PS/2 connector. If you have a Green-Eye then, yes, you need that original card if it's not the serial version. (They did also make a serial version.)

So... what model of mouse do you have here? Only very old Microsoft "bus mice" (The so-called "Green-Eyed Mouse") used a nine pin connector that you could mistake for a serial plug; later MS Bus Mice used the "InPort" connector which was a small round DIN connector similar-but-not-identical to a PS/2 connector. If you have a Green-Eye then, yes, you need that original card if it's not the serial version. (They did also make a serial version.)

It's a newer serial mouse. It's Microsoft Serial Mouse 2.0A from what I can read on the bottom. There's a picture of it here on http://www.minuszerodegrees.net/msmo...use%202.1A.jpg

Then are you certain the COM port (serial port) is working/configured properly? What version of mouse driver software are you trying to use?

Most mouse drivers automatically detect any serial mice connected to standard COM1 or COM2. You don't have to do anything special. When they can't detect them at all, that usually means a problem with the cable. Obviously check com port, try a different serial mouse, try the mouse on a different computer or port.

If you happen to be sure the mouse is working, you can try running a terminal opening that com port set to 1200 baud and see if any gibberish appears. (probably won't help in this case)

This wouldn't happen to be a PS/2 mouse with a serial adapter? Only a few Microsoft and Logitech mice supported that because it required extra hardware in the mouse. Also, as I recall, you can't interchange Microsoft's and Logitech's adapter.

Might be worth trying CuteMouse, if you haven’t yet.

http://cutemouse.sourceforge.net/

Old period mouse drivers can vary in their autodetection capabilities and be picky about the mouse ID matching, CuteMouse works with almost anything and is pretty good at sniffing them out.

I guess a sanity check would be to make sure your serial port actually works and isn’t configured with an IRQ conflict.

Hey thanks for your time guys. You guys were right with your guesses and it was an IRQ conflict between the serial/parallel card and my memory expansion card. I adjusted the jumpers and now the mouse works great. So definitely something stupid obvious that I was overlooking!

Back