• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Instability issues XT CF Lite 4.1 / PS/2 m30

Lert

Hello,

Recently I've come into possession of an IBM PS/2 Model 30, with Siemens 8086 cpu. I've wanted to replace the failing 20mb HDD with an XT CF Lite card and got a v4.1 with 64mb cf card. I've prepped the CF card and installed the whole thing, disconnecting the old spinning HDD. However, though it boots from the CF card fine - most of the time - I'm getting severe instability issues with the XT CF Lite adapter installed. Most of the time it runs ok as long as I just stay in DOS (I have 3.31 installed on the CF card) but the moment I load anything more I'm getting severe instability and system hangs and freezes.

The system runs rock solid without the CF card adapter installed.

I suspect it might a conflict between the onboard HDD controller and the XT CF Lite adapter, both using address 0x300. I've tried setting the CF adapter to 0x320, but then it fails to see the CF card at all, not even if I boot with a floppy and use fdisk to find it.

There are no jumpers on the motherboard to disable the onboard HDD controller, unfortunately. Perhaps this is something I can do in software? But the onboard battery is dead so I'm not sure how to set motherboard settings so that it keeps between reboots / powercycles.

Unfortunately, this is where my knowledge ends, and I must turn to outside sources of information.

I hope I can find a working solution here.

Thank you for your time.

To change the address on the CF lite card, you must first change the settings in xtidecfg, flash to the xt cf lite, power down, change the jumpers on the xtcflite, then power back up.

To change the address on the CF lite card, you must first change the settings in xtidecfg, flash to the xt cf lite, power down, change the jumpers on the xtcflite, then power back up.

The one I got came without software. Do you have a link where I can find it? And a step by step explanation of how to flash? Thank you.

Back