• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

IBM PS/2 Model 50Z (80286) HDD card issue.

Flavio

Experienced Member
Hello,
I never had to handle such "beasts" but I remember these were not easy computers...
Anyway I have been given one and it (more or less) works... but I have issued with ADF file with two cards:
° one is an "Everex something" that probably was used for an external tape reader... I cannot find a suitable ADF file so I have decided to remove it (anyway not used);
° the issue is related to the HHD card original from IBM... the program asks for a @DFFD.ADF file that I have but that does not work... is there a way to find out were is the issue? :(
I have also noticed that the fan does not turn... there is no voltage... I have to look were is the issue...
Thank you

The @DFFD.ADF file is for the 20MB MFM controller and drive:
https://www.ardent-tool.com/8550/8550_Controllers.html
It should be on the Model 50/50z/60 Reference Diskette (created under DOS by running the rf5060a.exe file).

It may also be downloaded from here:
https://www.ardent-tool.com/adapters/ADF_List.html
Please ensure the filename is in ALL CAPS for DOS program usage.

Today I read the ADF file for the HD controller and I have noticed that the first line SHOULD be the preferred choice.
The first line for the HD was "no HD" so I changed the order putting on the first line the HD type 30 (like it's written on the back of the HD) => the setup arrived to the end!!!
The issue is that now I cannot read anymore from the FDD!!! :( I have tried other FDD (they are 720 kb but working) and... nothing... the FDD is started but then it does not even try to read!!!
In another PS/2 the FDD cannot read but it is configured as 360 kb (I have seen this since there is Norton loaded in the HD)... so I suppose I have to find a way to change the FDD type, that I (again) suppose that has been changed for some reasons I do not understand!
This is a dog that bites its tail situation... the FDD is not configured as the right one but I need to use it to start the setup! :(
I remember that there is a way to configure the FDD in the first IBMs (5150 and so on) in the BASIC... is there this possibilty in PS/2 machines?

Another point is that I have noticed that the battery was not really connected... :( one contact was disattached from contact but it was not really noticeable...

Ok... a huge step forward! During lunch I left the battery NOT connected so simply the BIOS reset and the floppy worked again (before lunch probably I left the battery not connected for not enough time). With the modification and the battery NOW connected the setup arrived to the end (note: the FD must be writeable during setup).
So the two points were the battery not connected (before) and the modified @DFFD.ADF.
Now I have been able to FDISK the HD but I cannot format since I get an error, that the track 0 is bad... I do not think so and I think the HD has not been seen the right way BUT I cannot find any info on internet about the HD: WD-325N... any info? I try and make other tests.

Boot from the Reference Diskette.
Press CTRL+A at the Main Menu to get into Advanced Diagnostics.
From there you should be able to (Low Level) format the HD.

Thank you for your suggestion... sounds good... at the moment I discovered that the modified ADF means nothing... :-( ... during setup the computer tries to configure the card AND the HD and at "that" time the HD was not responding.
I like to make photos and I unmounted it for making them and when mounted again, it decided to startup... I suppose there is a bad contact somewhere... not I would like to unmount it again and spray a contact polishing liquid but I am afraid... I will first try your suggestion!
Now I get a "new" error... 8601... I have seen it is related to the mouse and infact I get an explicit note in the setup that the computer cannot use the mouse... this computer seems spirited!

(Untitled)

It did not worked. Too many bad sectors. The HD is too sick. Is there a way to force the low level formatting to the end without any limit on the bad sectors?

Back