• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

unknown 512k memory expansion card ibm 5150

felipel

Hello,
I have acquired a nice 5150 in quite a good state. It came with a RAM expansion card, from which I haven't been able to find any information about online. I wonder if any of you have any idea about this card. It came with only one bank filled (with TI 4164-12 ic's), as seen in the picture. The SW2 in the mainboard was configured for 128kb in total (64kb on board + 64 kb on the card). I decided to take the risk and got some chinese memory ICs, which look very similar to the ones installed, and should have the same specs. I populated one bank and had the enormous luck to configure the right card dip switch settings to make the bios recognize the added memory. I changed the SW2 in the mainboard to 192kb total. So far so good. I had more ICs available so decided to try my luck again and populated 2 banks more. This time I had no luck. Tried various combinations but nothing worked and when no memory related error came on POST then a keyboard error happened. Very weird.
192 kb are working well. However, it would be great if I could expand to full capacity, now that the ICs I recently acquired seem to work fine (at least in one bank :)). Do you have any idea of the possible dip switch settings for this card? The card comes with only one switch bank with 6 dip switches. In my guess, dip sw 1 and 2 seem to define the starting RAM amount. They were 1=off, 2=on and 3 to 6 = on in the original configuration. The change to 192 kb that I just made worked by having 4 = off. I have been looking everywhere for a hint, but it is very difficult. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• photo62846.jpg
    photo62846.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 3
The brand i dont know

But it seems the previous person used it as a conventional back fill card.

Many thanks for the useful tips. I will explore the settings as explained in the link posted by SomeGuy. It indeed seems close enough to this card. I will revert with the result soon.

Sadly no luck with this card. Jumper settings appear to be quite different from the CT-6280... If anybody has any tip on the possibility of doing some 'reverse engineering' to find out the correct jumper settings it would be great. Otherwise will just try to get another card.

Back