Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules and Etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Rule 1: Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Rule 2: Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Rule 3: Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

Rule 4: "PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Rule 5: Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

Unidentified XT Clone m/b

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unidentified XT Clone m/b

Posting in case anyone recognises this board. It's a generic XT clone with 7 x 8bit ISA and 5 EPROM sockets. The BIOS contains the strings "(C) COMPUTER TURBO version 2.0 1985 International Business System" and "(C) PC/XT TURBO 8 MHz SYSTEM". On the solder side it has "PMC' and separately "OEM/PC REV B1".

I've googled a lot, as you do! This chap here has a 99% identical board:

Restoring the old PC-XT clone mainboard - MCbx (oldcomputer.info)

I can't find a way to contact him though and it would also be nice to have full manual info on the 15+ jumpers that relate to the EPROM configuration as I'm not as clever as the above website owner. The other 4 'proms on my board contain IBM Personal Computer Basic, v C1.10. (incidentally...that's obviously the cassette basic, so how on earth do you use that on an XT clone, which has no way of hearing or playing sound?).

I am fairly sure that the little block of 8 switches is the same configuration as this similar example:

TURBO - V4 (arvutimuuseum.ee)

The board condition is very nice, as you can see. It turned on twice (without a monitor connected) before the PSU exploded. I need to take care of that first as I don't have another to hand that isn't in something else. Speaker doesn't work, but apart from that I think it made all the right noises. All voltages were present. In the pic there is a missing 74x logic chip as I found it was faulty and am waiting on a replacement.

The generic serial ports/extra RAM!/RTC card is another story as it had a NiCd battery on it that made a right mess, as usual. Fortunately it seems to have been stored upside down and it only damaged the card it was on.
    Attached Files
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.
    http:\\www.QXL.WIN
    I'm Chris. I have a small collection of old IBM compatibles and a getting-rather-large collection of Sinclair QL related hardware and software items. Always on the look out for QL stuff if anyone has anything.

Originally posted by Chr$ View Post
    I can't find a way to contact him though and it would also be nice to have full manual info on the 15+ jumpers that relate to the EPROM configuration as I'm not as clever as the above website owner. The other 4 'proms on my board contain IBM Personal Computer Basic, v C1.10. (incidentally...that's obviously the cassette basic, so how on earth do you use that on an XT clone, which has no way of hearing or playing sound?).
    The 5150 did? The 5150 BASIC in ROM works just fine; you don't get to use the cassette features. If you're going to run IBM PC-DOS BASICA, however, you need something in ROM.

Reach me: vcfblackhole _at_ protonmail dot com.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck(G) View Post

The 5150 BASIC in ROM works just fine; you don't get to use the cassette features. If you're going to run IBM PC-DOS BASICA, however, you need something in ROM.
      Ah, I see. BASICA requires Cassette BASIC in ROM but allows you to save load to/from disk. I didn't realise that. It's my first XT, the earliest was a 286 up to now. Hope it works.
      I'm Chris. I have a small collection of old IBM compatibles and a getting-rather-large collection of Sinclair QL related hardware and software items. Always on the look out for QL stuff if anyone has anything.

Comment

I didn't realise that. It's my first XT, the earliest was a 286 up to now. Hope it works.
        Sadly IBM machines actually kept the same Cassette Basic in ROM through at least the first generation of PS/2s machines. (Anyone happen to know off the top of their head when it finally disappeared?)
        My Retro-computing YouTube Channel (updates... eventually?): Paleozoic PCs Also: Blogspot

Comment

Originally posted by Eudimorphodon View Post
          Sadly IBM machines actually kept the same Cassette Basic in ROM through at least the first generation of PS/2s machines. (Anyone happen to know off the top of their head when it finally disappeared?)
          The PS/1s and some of the Aptivas also had BASIC in ROM.

They even modified QBASIC in PC DOS 5.0 to require ROM BASIC in order to run:

http://www.os2museum.com/wp/ibm-dos-...n-ibm-systems/

That requirement was removed when IBM began selling PC DOS 5.0x on the retail market for clones as well as IBMs.
          Last edited by vwestlife; August 19, 2021, 07:35 PM.

Comment

I cannot remember ever having seen a XT clone with only seven ISA slots.
            With kind regards / met vriendelijke groet, Ruud Baltissen

www.baltissen.org

Comment

Originally posted by Ruud View Post
              I cannot remember ever having seen a XT clone with only seven ISA slots.
              I don't think this one was meant to fit into an IBM XT case -- it looks too wide.

Comment

Dimensions are 27 x 34.5cm. Attached is the BIOS bin.
                Attached Files

Comment

Dimensions are 27 x 34.5cm.
                  So that's about two inches wider and half an inch longer (front to back) than a standard XT/Baby AT motherboard.

Comment

Originally posted by vwestlife View Post
                    So that's about two inches wider and half an inch longer (front to back) than a standard XT/Baby AT motherboard.
                    Lucky it came in a suitable case then! It takes up floor space in this attractive top-hinged housing.
                    Attached Files

Comment

That looks like a (DTC) Display Telecommunications Corporation "Megaboard".

I've got one, but just the motherboard.

https://www.vcfed.org/forum/forum/ge...tion-megaboard

There was another thread about another similar one here: https://www.vcfed.org/forum/forum/ge...lone-mainboard

Very non-standard form factor.

I'd be interested to see photos of the inside of the case.

Comment

Originally posted by SomeGuy View Post
                        That looks like a (DTC) Display Telecommunications Corporation "Megaboard".

I've got one, but just the motherboard.

https://www.vcfed.org/forum/forum/ge...tion-megaboard

There was another thread about another similar one here: https://www.vcfed.org/forum/forum/ge...lone-mainboard

Very non-standard form factor.

I'd be interested to see photos of the inside of the case.
                        Excellent, great info, thanks. They certainly seem identical to all intents and purposes (mine doesn't have the ISA PCB connector on the edge or the reset button).

The 2nd topic you linked to by MCbx appears to be the same person that I chanced upon with the repair write-up and the eprom setup woes.

If 256k is the max, despite full RAM population, then that would explain why mine came with a multifunction (SixPac clone) card containing 384k of RAM. Hopefully I can sort out the battery damage on that. Case pics to follow. For now, here's part of the back showing the PMC OEM info. I just noticed the '3' with a crown-like thing on it in a circle.
                        This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Here are some case pics. I did also power up the board today... more on that in the next post as I'm not sure how many pics I can attach.
                          This gallery has 9 photos.

Comment

Testing the beast:

I couldn't wait on the PSU parts to get things fixed up, so re-purposed a PSU from a later AT PC.

The +12v was shorted. I wonder if that's what caused an already weak PSU to blow (and/or it has no shutdown protection?). The culprit was a tantalum on the CGA card. Removed that and it powered up. It counts up to 256k RAM despite the fully populated board. With no drive controller cards I was able to get to the IBM Cassette basic. All the keys on one of my own keyboards seemed to work fine.

Then I attached the floppy controller card that it came with and one of the 360k drives that it also came with. I'd previously tested both drives on another machine and the one I used did seem to be fine on the other machine (the other was not - perhaps more on that in another post).

It boots, but only after it reports 'Disk Boot failure' or 'Non-System disk or disk error' about 20 times after pressing any key. When it does eventually manage to boot to PC-DOS (3.2) all seems well. I can dir and load things from the boot disk as normal. I suspect the unreliable booting from floppy is possibly down to the disk - which was an NOS, never formatted 1.2mb disk that I virgin formatted in another 360k drive and then wrote the PC-DOS 3.2 image to. I think I read somewhere that non-formatted 1.2mb disks can be reliable when virgin formatted to 360k. Maybe a dreamt that!

Then I tried adding the Seagate S10 MFM controller card that it came with, but that simply displays 'ST10 v2.4' on the screen before anything else appears and then hangs. The Seagate ST251 drive that it came with is also quite loud and seems very much on it's way out. I also tried the S10 card in another machine and even with no drive or ribbon cables attached to it, it does the same thing, i.e. shows 'ST10 v2.4' and then hangs. I'd love to hear if anyone has any ideas about that.

Next, I installed a known working WD controller card and ST225 HDD pair with DOS 6.22 pre-installed and it booted to C: without issue (apart from the obvious incompatible himen etc stuff).

So, some teething troubles but overall a good result I think.

Comment

Then I tried adding the Seagate S10 MFM controller card that it came with, but that simply displays 'ST10 v2.4' on the screen before anything else appears and then hangs. The Seagate ST251 drive that it came with is also quite loud and seems very much on it's way out. I also tried the S10 card in another machine and even with no drive or ribbon cables attached to it, it does the same thing, i.e. shows 'ST10 v2.4' and then hangs. I'd love to hear if anyone has any ideas about that.
                              Some of these XT-class HDD controllers have timeouts as long as 2 minutes. If you wait, say 3 minutes, do you see a 1701 error appear at some point ?

Comment

Working...
                              X