• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Teledisk do not work on my IBM 5160.

Flavio

Experienced Member
Hello,
I have a standard IBM 5160 with stock controller and FDD.
TESTFDC does not start as per the attached picture!
I can perfectly use both FDD with the computer.
Can somebody help me understand what's wrong?
Best Regards

Attachments

• attach1223532.jpg
    attach1223532.jpg
    193.6 KB · Views: 1
When you go into the BIOS is the floppy type a 360K,1.2M, 720K, or 1.44M?

You can define the type for TESTFDC (NOT TELEDISK) on the command line:

TESTFDC A: 360
TESTFDC B: 1.2
TESTFDC A: 720
TESTFDC B: 1.44

Does this work?

Larry

No point in running testfdc on the 5160 floppy controller. I can already tell you it will fail everything except 250k MFM

To answer the question shown in the screenshot, the IBM PC and IBM XT BIOS do not store or report the drive types. Programs that look for that information must then assume the drive is either 360k, or unknown. The IBM AT and later store and report the drive type.

Some 8-bit floppy controllers that have their own BIOS may also report the drive type when used in a PC or XT. Although with those, drive type is usually set by jumpers rather than stored in CMOS, like AT machines.

This is normal.

What we have are boneheaded coders who don't realize that if you're using an old 5150/5160 BIOS, to assume 360K floppies if the usual calls fail. If anyone's interested, I can offer my own version of an fdctest that allows for specifying the drive types via a configuration file.

(Untitled)

Sorry for not answering but shortly after my post... I married... and in these days I am not at home! 😅 My 5160 is standard 100%. A curiosity : I have been able to write M20 floppy with my 5160...and these disks are quite weird...

Back