Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules and Etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Rule 1: Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Rule 2: Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Rule 3: Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

Rule 4: "PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Rule 5: Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

Compaq Portable not powering up, but fan runs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• db2
    replied
    Ooh, got a tracking number for the key contacts already! So I guess I'll be rebuilding the keyboard this weekend. I'll just run it from floppies at first to give it a thorough testing, then order an XT-IDE for it. Thanks to everyone for all the tips and assistance with troubleshooting the electronics.

Leave a comment:

• db2
    replied
    Originally posted by jafir View Post
    Does the hard drive spin up or do anything at all? If so, maybe it just needs a low level format? If it’s a Compaq controller, I believe you’d need to make the setup floppy to attempt a low level format. You could probably try a third party utility like speedstor as well.

As for the keyboard, I bought the kit from texlelec. It seems to work ok, you just have to be very clean as the mechanism doesn’t seem to tolerate debris from the old discs or even oil from a can of deoxit. Or at least mine was picky. I had to take it apart a couple of times to get everything happy.
    I didn't hear anything from the hard drive when I powered on. The activity light came on when the machine attempted to boot, but that was it. I don't think it's a Compaq drive, looks like some kind of after-market thing (like the dual 3.5" floppy drives installed vertically in the other drive bay). The controller card has chips that say WDC on them. I'll have to give it a closer look and see if I can find some info about it. Not too worried about getting the hard drive working, though, since I'd rather install an XTIDE. It also came with an Orchid Conquest expansion card that seems to include some more I/O ports, and possibly EMS RAM. Hope I can track down drivers for that...

Texelec is showing the keyboard foam-and-foil replacement kit available on backorder, but I emailed them to find out when it might be ready to ship. If it's a couple weeks, I can live with that.

Leave a comment:

• jafir
    replied
    Does the hard drive spin up or do anything at all? If so, maybe it just needs a low level format? If it’s a Compaq controller, I believe you’d need to make the setup floppy to attempt a low level format. You could probably try a third party utility like speedstor as well.

As for the keyboard, I bought the kit from texlelec. It seems to work ok, you just have to be very clean as the mechanism doesn’t seem to tolerate debris from the old discs or even oil from a can of deoxit. Or at least mine was picky. I had to take it apart a couple of times to get everything happy.

Leave a comment:

• modem7
    replied
    Originally posted by db2 View Post
    So in other words, as long as I don't key up my ham radio, I'm probably fine to test it this way.
    Relatively speaking, the tantalum deals with low frequency and the ceramic deals with high frequency.

Leave a comment:

• db2
    replied
    Originally posted by modem7 View Post
    I have an analogy at [here].
    So in other words, as long as I don't key up my ham radio, I'm probably fine to test it this way.

I clipped one leg of the shorted tantalum cap (the ceramic one was fine - it's wired in parallel with the tantalum so it looked shorted at first), and that was enough to get the machine powering up. The hard drive is shot, which I fully expected, but it had no trouble at all booting from a 720 KB DOS 6.2 floppy that I whipped up in my 486. So that's something! I'm going to replace all the tantalum filter caps near the power connector on the motherboard just to be safe, but this was an encouraging test. Now I just have to deal with the keyboard, because only the 4 and f keys work. Time to hunt down some replacement foam discs. If I can get the keyboard fixed, then I'll get ahold of an XTIDE and see what I can make it do.

Leave a comment:

• modem7
    replied
    Originally posted by db2 View Post
    Just smoothing the DC power ... ?
    I have an analogy at [here].

Leave a comment:

• db2
    replied
    Originally posted by dabone View Post
    Clip one side of them at the moment for a test. The machine will run without them.
    I'll give it a whirl if it won't risk wrecking anything else. What purpose do those two caps serve? Just smoothing the DC power or something?

Leave a comment:

• dabone
    replied
    Clip one side of them at the moment for a test. The machine will run without them.

Leave a comment:

• db2
    replied
    Progress! Sort of, anyway. I tracked down two caps on the motherboard that are reading as a dead short, at least when tested in the circuit: C83 (tantalum 10uF 16V) and C84 (ceramic 47nF). Both of these are right next to the power input connector, and when I disconnect power from the motherboard I see good voltages on the drive molex connectors. I have replacements for the ceramic cap, but not the tantalum one, so I had to order a box of assorted capacitors. We'll see if anything else is wonky after I replace those two.

Leave a comment:

• db2
    replied
    Originally posted by jafir View Post
    Some things are easier to reach from the bottom. If I recall correctly the power supply connector is one. The keyboard connector definitely is.

EDIT: I just opened mine. Here is a photo.
    Definitely looks a lot easier to get to from that angle. If I disconnect power from the motherboard and the hard drive spins right up, then it sounds like it'll be a recap job. If that doesn't change anything, then I'm guessing the PSU is to blame.

Leave a comment:

• jafir
    replied
    Some things are easier to reach from the bottom. If I recall correctly the power supply connector is one. The keyboard connector definitely is.

EDIT: I just opened mine. Here is a photo.

38BA8601-5EC3-4851-96D3-316793206810.jpeg

Leave a comment:

• db2
    replied
    That's a good idea, I hadn't considered it might be short-circuit protection shutting things down. It looks like the PSU connection to the motherboard is a connector that's buried underneath the various cages inside the machine, so it's going to take some excavating to get to it and disconnect the motherboard.

Leave a comment:

• SomeGuy
    replied
    A common problem that prevents machines from powering up is shorted tantalum capacitors on the motherboard or other devices. Try disconnecting the power from the motherboard and checking the resistance between various rails and ground. When this happens, it is usually along +12 or -12v rails.

The fact that you see/hear something going on for a moment suggests the power supply is detecting a short and shutting down.

Of course, it could be a hundred other things, but that is a good place to start.

Leave a comment:

• db2
    replied
    Originally posted by ajacocks View Post
    db2 welcome to the forum!

- Alex
    Thanks! Wasn't sure if I should put this here, the hardware troubleshooting forum, or the portables forum, so you certainly won't hurt my feelings if you move it somewhere you think is more appropriate.

Leave a comment:

• ajacocks
    replied
    db2 welcome to the forum!

- Alex

Leave a comment:

Working...
X