• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

MCE2VGA with the PCjr Help

tempest

Veteran Member
I picked up a used MCE2VGA off ebay last week (seller says it was new but he never used it) to hook my PCjr up to my VGA monitor. It works... sorta. I get an image but the picture is wavy and glitches constantly. At first I thought it was that it might not like my old school VGA monitor (it's a 20" Dell Trinitron) so I hooked up a cheap LCD monitor to it and it had the exact same issue. Now I'm at a loss as to how to fix this. I thought there were controls to play with the sync (which I think is the problem) on the board but all I see are some centering controls and the four dip switches (only 2 is set to on which should be correct for my setup).

The only things I can think of are that it might be either the free cable I got with it to hook the computer to the device (it looks like a serial cable) or the cable I'm using to convert the PCjr Berg connector to a standard CGA/EGA style plug. I found it in my box of PCjr stuff I was given so I don't know the providence of it, but it seems to work ok as I'm getting a picture (just all wavy and glitchy). The board itself is the 2.0 version but I have no idea what firmware it has on it because I got it secondhand.

Any suggestions or ideas?

Last edited:
Do you have access to any other systems with an MDA, CGA, or EGA video card to test operation of the MCE2VGA ?

Also it may help diagnose the problem.......if you post a video of the effects you are seeing on the VGA monitor.

I have the MCE2VGA, and you have to really tune it to get the picture steady. Especially the phase. The problem with e MCE2VGA is every time you turn it on you have to retune it. It doesn't save
the settings. the RGBtoHDMI project is a far better alternative, once set up will work every time.

Ok I figured out how to adjust the phase and got it working. It does display little colored dots on some lines in the sides of the screen. Is this normal? They're annoying but I can live with them.

Back