• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Modern 8-bit display cards available?

1200XL M.U.L.E.

Experienced Member
Does anyone or any company offer a modern display card for older 8-bit machines? I would like to upgrade from my CGA card and monitor to a VGA card and monitor but I don't see many options. It seems like there are more options for Adlib clones, CF based drives, and memory cards.

If modern cards are not available then what are we to do if our display systems fail?

Does anyone or any company offer a modern display card for older 8-bit machines? I would like to upgrade from my CGA card and monitor to a VGA card and monitor but I don't see many options. It seems like there are more options for Adlib clones, CF based drives, and memory cards.
For 'modern', I see:

* Sergey's ISA Super VGA - see [here].
* A copy of that is Monotech PC's XT-SVGA - see [here].

Hi modem7
I don't see where I can order Sergey's or Monotech's Super VGA card. :(
Did the cards just recently sell out?
Well, they did at some point. The best I can see of those two is the PCB only, available at eBay item 114716877048.

Consider the vintage VGA cards at [here] for IBM 5150, and [here] for IBM 5155/5160. Surely one is available for sale somewhere.

I got help from this thread. Now I have an Octek - OAK VGA OTI 037c from 1989 and a Trident 8900C, both found at Ebay at a no-that-crazy price. Both are ISA 16 bit and work flawlessly on my 8086. Regarding the Octek - OAK, I chose it because being an early model, I had more certainty that it would have an 8088 compatible BIOS. I just didn't want to run the risk with a later model. So now I have two VGAs. If one of them eventually fails, I have a backup card (plus the internal MCGA...).

Back