• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

IBM 5150 Cass. Port

frozenfire75i

Banned
Can any Cassette Recorder be a data cassette recorder for the 5150 and it's TRS 80 cable?

I got a brand new in box Califone 3130AV Classroom Cassette Recorder and was wondering if that would work?

It has remote start stop, Headphone and Headphone/EXT SPk ports, and Mic port and REM port.

http://www.kmr.com/manuals/califone/3110/3110_01.htm

Last edited:
I got a brand new in box Califone 3130AV Classroom Cassette Recorder and was wondering if that would work?
Give it a try.

Refer to the 'Cassette Interface' section of the 5150 Technical Reference. The input on your tape recorder is a microphone jack (not aux.), so I suggest that you ensure that your 5150 motherboard is jumpered accordingly.

Can any Cassette Recorder be a data cassette recorder for the 5150 and it's TRS 80 cable?.

I think any standard audio tape recorder will do. If you are going to save to tape (as oppose to just palyback) it's better to get one where you can manually set the recording levels. A lot of newer cassette recorders (which are assumed to be dictaphones) simply have an automatic level manager. You can't adjust it, and (in my experience) the recorded audio is often too low for a computer.

Tez

I recall this was discussed in another thread awhile back and it
sounds like you could even use an MP3 player instead of a cassette
tape player :)

When I tried out the cassette port on my new 5150, I used a 70's era, battery-powered GE-branded portable cassette recorder (probably purchased for $25 or so back then).

It worked fine--or at least as well as any cheap cassette tape recorder could be expected to work. If yours has AVC, disable it if possible. The playback level requires some fiddling around with as well as the Mic/Aux jumper on the planar as Modem7 has mentioned.

like others have said, yeah any recorder should be fine. the volume will have to played around with a bit most likely. the data rate on those old cassette interfaces is extremely low, so having awesome recording/playback fidelity isn't really needed.

you could even store your stuff on a vinyl record if you have a way to make them. :)

Back