• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

HP Series Communicator book

NathanAllan

Veteran Member
The school's library has a free books shelf, and I found a book entitled "HP Series 100 Communicator" with Touchscreen II below it and "for users of the Portable, HP 12x, and Touchscreen/150 computers, and above that issue 12. It's illustrated inside, with pics of the computers and "modern" offices using them. Touchscreen, eh? I've never heard of this one before. They both look like 8088 machines, as the portable is the clamshell kind and the desktop looks like any old XT class machine with a very few differences. Maybe a little shorter. Makes me miss that old Toshiba XT :(. Anybody ever heard of one or seen one of these things??

I got two of 'em in my bedroom/storeroom right now, but they belong to someone else. I also have an HP 110 portable (codenamed "Nomad"), which is in the same family, software-wise. The touchscreen uses a grid of cris-crossing IR beams across the front of the screen to locate the touch to the screen.

--T

Criss-crossing ir beams? That's a neat concept. It must have cost a fortune new, I know the leds for that soprt of thing used to be expensive.

As I look more at this book, I wonder what are in the other issues of "Communicator." It keeps refering to "as seen in issue 8" or anything up to this issue.

Do your machines work?

Back