Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules and Etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Rule 1: Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Rule 2: Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Rule 3: Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

Rule 4: "PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Rule 5: Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

Help. I shorted out my 5155's power supply.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help. I shorted out my 5155's power supply.

I attempted to install a turbo 8088 motherboard in my 5155. The board powered up fine when hooked up externally, but I must have shorted something to ground when I mounted it in the system because the power supply fan did not start. So then I disconnected all the power leads (motherboard, disk drives, even the monitor) and flipped the switch on. Still nothing. So I then pulled out my multi-meter and found zero volts on all leads. I took the cover off and found the 3 amp fuse near the switch and removed it to test it (hoping for an easy fix) but found the fuse tested good. I can't see anything that looks burn't inside. When turned on it makes a single click that sounds like a small relay but no fan and no output. Can someone help? I'd be willing to ship it both ways if someone would be willing to look at it. Any sugestions?

Maybe you already know this, but most SMPSUs won't work with no load at all. Use a hard disk drive as a dummy load (IDE is fine) and see if you get some action that way.
    Reach me: vcfblackhole _at_ protonmail dot com.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck(G) View Post
      Maybe you already know this, but most SMPSUs won't work with no load at all. Use a hard disk drive as a dummy load (IDE is fine) and see if you get some action that way.
      OK, I tried that with two different IDE hard disks. It would not spin either one, but the one with the led blinked momentarily(less than one second).

Comment

Sounds like you've got some digging to do in your PSU. It might not have been a motherboard short after all.

I'd start by checking capacitors for shorts.

Comment

Sounds like you've got some digging to do in your PSU. It might not have been a motherboard short after all.

I'd start by checking capacitors for shorts.
          I'm a little chicken around those big capacitors, especialy the ones with the "SHOCK HAZARD WARNING". Chuck, I see you're in the "Pacific Northwest". I'm in Albany, OR. How far away are you? Would you be willing to look it over for me?

Comment

The 5155 PSU will start up with only it's motherboard (which is a 5160 motherboard) connected.
            I know from measurements done a few years ago that a 5160 motherboard draws about 15 Watts.

I tried only an IDE drive connected to my 5155 PSU - no start (fan turns momentarily).
            I tried two IDE drives - no start (fan turns momentarily).
            I tried three IDE drives - no start (fan turns momentarily, and for longer than with just two drives connected).
            I tried four IDE drives - PSU runs.

So your PSU may be good. Try connecting the original motherboard (or four IDE drives) and see how that goes.

Comment

Maybe even remove the MB from the case and put everything back the way it was when it worked, in case there's a short at one of the mounting screws. And of course make sure that the connectors have the black wires in the middle, i.e. next to each other. It's pretty hard to catastrophically "short out" a PC PS.

Comment

You guy's are great! When I connected the original MB and flipped the switch, the fan came on and appears to run normal, so I turned it back off and connected the HDD with the LED and flipped the switch again and the fan came on, the LED lit and the drive spun up normally. So it would seam the PSU is fine. Just my trouble shooting methods were faulty. Glad I didn't buy that refurbished power supply from CODEMICRO!! Thanks everyone!!

Greg

Comment

Originally posted by modem7 View Post
                  The 5155 PSU will start up with only it's motherboard (which is a 5160 motherboard) connected.
                  I know from measurements done a few years ago that a 5160 motherboard draws about 15 Watts.

I tried only an IDE drive connected to my 5155 PSU - no start (fan turns momentarily).
                  I tried two IDE drives - no start (fan turns momentarily).
                  I tried three IDE drives - no start (fan turns momentarily, and for longer than with just two drives connected).
                  I tried four IDE drives - PSU runs.

So your PSU may be good. Try connecting the original motherboard (or four IDE drives) and see how that goes.
                  I'll put it in my file that a big 5.25" hard drive may be required. (Many consume upwards of 30W)

Comment

I'll put it in my file that a big 5.25" hard drive may be required. (Many consume upwards of 30W)
                    I didn't think one IDE drive would be enough, but it was certainly a surprise to me that four were required.
                    I've just done the same experiment on a 5160 PSU, and it required three IDE drives.
                    I guess that reflects:
                    1. These old switch mode PSUs require more load (minimum load) than modern switch mode PSUs, and
                    2. IDE drives draw less power than I thought.

Comment

I got a 5170 recently with lots of documentation including that from an installed HDD upgrade. It mentions something called a "load resistor" which was placed in the casing of a 5170 without a HDD to create that minimum load, otherwise the system wouldn't function right. This resistor had to be removed when installing a HDD, which is why it was mentioned in the documentation.

I suspect that the same applies for older systems, load resistor or no, and that seems to be what you guys have come up with here.

Just sharing my two cents - a shame I didn't come across this thread sooner, as I might have saved some hassle, heh.
                      More commonly known as "Yushatak" - www.yushatak.com
                      Focused on 486 and Pentium Machines
                      I collect All-In-One PCs and Keyboard PCs, especially Compaq.

Comment

Originally posted by Raven View Post
                        I got a 5170 recently with lots of documentation including that from an installed HDD upgrade. It mentions something called a "load resistor" which was placed in the casing of a 5170 without a HDD to create that minimum load, otherwise the system wouldn't function right. This resistor had to be removed when installing a HDD, which is why it was mentioned in the documentation.
                        The load resistor you write of is mentioned (and there's a link to a picture) at the 5170 entry at our Wiki (VCWiki): http://wiki.vintage-computer.com/ind..._AT_%285170%29

I have a 5170 model 068 (no hard drive) in my house presently. I'm unsure why the load resistor is required, because the PSU fires up okay when I disconnect it.

Originally posted by Raven View Post
                        I suspect that the same applies for older systems, load resistor or no, and that seems to be what you guys have come up with here.
                        Just sharing my two cents - a shame I didn't come across this thread sooner, as I might have saved some hassle, heh.
                        The issue wasn't about whether a load was present or not - it was about the amount of load required.

Comment

That dummy load was a weird animal. Why the large metal cage? Maybe it acts as a heat sink.
                          Current machines:
                          PCs: IBM PC XT 640K, IBM PC XT 256K ,IBM PC XT , 2x IBM PC AT, Compaq Portable I, Compaq Portable II, Compaq Portable I/286, Philips Logic Analyzer XT clone, IBM PS/2 Model 30 286 , HP 95X, HP200LX (2x),Compaq SLT/286.
                          Apple: Macintosh 512k, Macintosh SE, Macintosh Classic, PowerBook 170, iBook Clamshell, iBook G3,iMac G4 , TiBook's, Apple IIc, Many newer machines (G4, G5, Intel..), 20th Anniversary Mac
                          Others: Commodore 64C,Amiga A500, CCS S-100 System, SNES,

Wanted: Macintosh 128k, Hard Disk 20, System disks and games for the Mac

Comment

Originally posted by QuantumII View Post
                            That dummy load was a weird animal. Why the large metal cage? Maybe it acts as a heat sink.
                            The resistor is positioned in the cage middle, sitting on two thin metal legs (each with a cross section of about 1mm x 5mm). And so heat transfer from resistor to cage does not appear to be a major consideration.

The top plate looks to me to be a wonderful piece of over-engineering.

Comment

Originally posted by modem7 View Post
                              The issue wasn't about whether a load was present or not - it was about the amount of load required.
                              I know - I figured that a load resistor provided X load. I realize your point, though.
                              More commonly known as "Yushatak" - www.yushatak.com
                              Focused on 486 and Pentium Machines
                              I collect All-In-One PCs and Keyboard PCs, especially Compaq.

Comment

Working...
                              X