• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Old HD Specs

I remember having a file called DRVTALL.TXT which contained similar information but for many more manufacturers and models.

I got a reference book off of e:bay recently called "The Hard Drive Bible" Edition VIII - 1996. It was put out by CSC (Corporate Systems Center) and contains all kinds of information about the different hard drive standards and parameters for some of the older hard drives. Although it has a large amount of info, just glancing through it, there were a couple of drives I have that aren't listed in it.

The old Micro House books are valuable--and that CSC book also came with a reference CD. Back in the day, I used to buy almost all of my 5.25" hard drives from them--they had some fabulous deals on large drives.

Who today even makes a business of doing almost nothing but selling used hard drives?

For instance?

One is an HP 97500-85620 that is used in a 9153C external HPIB Floppy/Hard drive. A search finds some websites saying it is SCSI and others saying it is IDE. It looks like this, but is 20MB.

http://www.recycledgoods.com/products/HP-97500-60011-10MB-3.5"-HH-IDE-Hard-Drive-97500-85600.html.

The other is one of those early Tandy 8 MB hard drives(large black box). Doesn't really matter what info I find since the drive can't be repaired and there aren't any substitutes that would be affordable.

No "undercurrent" at all. A book, in and of itself, does not lend itself to being searched electronically.
Clearly the publisher understands that, if they provide a CD along with it.

Back