• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Fastv20.com

Hyla

I'm looking for the file FASTV20.COM to speed up my V20 system.

Can someone give me this file?

Cheers
Markus

Thank you Jorg. It works.

@ nestor - it makes V20 based XTs run faster ;)

The program doesn't require a V20 at all .. it changes the timing of the DRAM refresh. Refreshing at slower rates makes the DRAM available more often for the CPU, thus improving the performance. But if you refresh the DRAM too slowly the bits start dropping - hence the warnings about parity errors in the readme.

Take a look at the ports it is manipulating: 0x43 and 0x41 - they are for the 8253 timer. Port 41 is used to set the timer that control the DRAM refresh interval.

I wouldn't touch this with a 10 foot pole. :)

@mile: Agreed. There were several magazine articles at the time about doing this--all of which mumbled something about perhaps compromising the integrity of your RAM data.

If there is something I have learned in almost 25 years of owning PCs its that the only way to make your compute faster is to buy a faster system. Overclocking, changing timings, etc. is just asking for pain later. The good thing about PCs now is that as long as you don't want to be on the bleedin edge it is pretty cheap to upgrade! If you want a faster XT then you need a 286 ;)....

Could be useful for running simple games like digger a bit more quickly on a 5150..

Very interesting to learn what it really does...

Well, if we are at it - what do you think of this one... (attached)
(these things might almost be worth its own thread- 'obscure speed enhancing utils and what they really do' :))

Attachments

• 386486.zip
    24.2 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Jorg, at least 386to486 is just a TSR hoax. It doesn't really do anything--most of the executable is taken up by Microsoft C library routines and messages.

I seem to remember that there was a similar hoax program that claimed to turn your 486 into a Pentium...

Back