• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

IBM 8286121 Battery replacement source?

falter

Veteran Member
Hi guys,

I pulled out my old 5170, which of course features a long-dead CMOS battery. Had to re-create the AT Diagnostic disk to get in and set things up so the hard drive would boot again. It's not *too* tedious but it'd be nice to avoid.

I understand which battery I'm looking for.. Part number is 8286121... but haven't had any lucks with links purporting to offer compatible replacements. Anyone know what I could do here? I understand one of the battery leads has a resistor so I assume I can't just rig anything up..

I have buyed a battery holder for a CRP2 6V Lithium battery. I think it was the same battery type originaly built in in a IBM XT/286. In my IBM 5170 this works fine since over 2 years.

Any non-rechargeable battery of about 6 volts, and with the correct connector, will do. Don't fuss about the resistor.

Using the device pictured below, four standard 1.5 volt AA cells can be used.

Some people use a 3.6 volt Lithium battery, but with one of those, some 5170 motherboards may keep the CMOS settings but lose time. On a 5170 motherboard, a 6 volt battery will no doubt last a lot longer compared to a 3.6 volt one.

5170_battery_4_x_1.5v.jpg

If you're in the US, try Batteries Plus.

They found me a replacement Varta battery (soldered to the board type) for a Quadram Quadboard - and they found it in 10 minutes - I was amazed.

I went with modem7's solution for my 5170. The battery holder had bare wires, so I bought a 4-pin connector from Active Tech. I braided the wires and it looks really nice.

Poking system settings into the BIOS with BASIC was a pain in the butt that I don't want to repeat any time soon, so I'm wondering if a lithium battery would last longer than this alkaline solution. MaTel mentioned using a CRP2. Did you buy a battery adapter that fit the battery and had the right connector out of the box, or did you have to build/modify it?

Back