• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Serial Cable for External Modem

Shadow Lord

Veteran Member
Might be a silly question, but is there any reason this cable will not work for an external modem? They describe it as a serial printer cable and I want to make sure the pinouts would be compatible with a modem. Thanks.

From the description, it looks like a "straight through" cable to me, so it should be fine.
Are you sure, Chuck? The electrons are going to be going the wrong way... ;-)

@OP: I assume you really need a 25-pin female connector at the computer end?

A PC is DTE, no? A modem is DCE, no? Straight-through. On all of my external modems, the modem is DB25F; on a PC, the connector (if not a DE9) is DB25M, so a MF-straight-through cable should be exactly what's needed, no?

A PC is DTE, no? A modem is DCE, no? Straight-through. On all of my external modems, the modem is DB25F; on a PC, the connector (if not a DE9) is DB25M, so a MF-straight-through cable should be exactly what's needed, no?
No, no! It's a printer cable, so it's meant for the male end to plug into the computer, not the other way around!

(Sorry; just a really bad and confusing attempt at humour... ;-) ) Of course it should work just fine.

Bigger smiley next time, or better yet, keep mouse off the 'Save' button ;-)

HaHaha... Make fun of the young guy... ;)

I just wanted to make sure that pin 5 wasn't wired to pin 22 in the printer version for some archaic reason....

And yes I need a 25pin female on the computer end. I have a 25-9 cable but then would need to buy a converter. So for the same price, maybe less, I get a cable and no big old converter to deal with.

Yeah, serial printers can have some unusual connections, but that usually requires an adapter or custom cable; the only possible issue with 25-25 pin cables is that sometimes not all connections are brought through.

Yeah, serial printers can have some unusual connections, but that usually requires an adapter or custom cable; the only possible issue with 25-25 pin cables is that sometimes not all connections are brought through.

Well as long as 9 of them got through! :)

Back