• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Victor VPC II dip settings

braxlan

Hello everybody,

I recently got a Victor VPC II (8086-2/8MHz) without any manual. To get a VGA signal instead of TTL, I installed an 8 bit ISA VGA adapter, but now the computer only starts after doing lots of beeps. I have heard that I have to setup the mainboard in a way that it accepts a CGA/VGA adapter instead of a hercules monochrome, but this is very difficult without knowing which setting of the dip switches causes which effect. I also bought an 8087-2 coprocessor, but I do not know how to activate it.

Now my question: Has anyone got the manual for this pretty machine? It would help if I only knew the dip settings, but I would be very happy about a full scan.

Best regards,
braxlan

I have a Victor Vicki 8088 with manuals. I can't tell if the two use the same motherboard and/or DIP settings but I can look them up later. I think my computer even has some sticker on the inside of the cover but I might misremember. In any case I've equipped my Victor with a VGA card so the DIP settings work for me.

Here are the DIP settings that goes for my machine. I don't know if it applies to other Victor models of similar vintage.

SWITCH 1
1: Select printer interface. ON = onboard, OFF = expansion card

2-3: Select I/O address for the mouse interface:
OFF, OFF = 230-233 (hexadecimal)
OFF, ON = 234-237
ON, OFF = 238-23B
ON, ON = 23C-23F

4: Select mono/colour. ON = monochrome, OFF = colour
5: Select text/graphics for monochrome mode. ON = graphics mode, OFF = text mode
6: Select graphics interface. ON = onboard, OFF = expansion card
7: Select clock frequency. ON = 4.77 MHz, OFF = 7.16 MHz
8: Select I/O address for clock frequency register. ON = 100-10F (hex), OFF = 260-26F

SWITCH 2
1: Must always be in OFF position
2: Must always be in ON position
3-4: Must always be in OFF position

5-6: Set video mode
ON, OFF = Colour, 80x25 chars
OFF, ON = Colour, 40x25 chars
OFF, OFF = Monochrome
ON, ON = External EGA/VGA (Switch 1-6 must be OFF)

7-8: Number of floppy drives connected to the computer
ON, ON = 1 floppy drive
OFF, ON = 2 floppy drives

Apart from these two sets of DIP switches, my Vicki also has a set of jumpers (CN10) to select IRQ for the mouse interface if one is installed:

|..| IRQ5
|..| IRQ4
|..| IRQ3
|oo| IRQ2

Since my manual is possibly for a different model than your computer is, and is written entirely in Swedish (I just translated the above texts for you), I don't think there is much value for you to have it scanned.

I took a closer look to your DIP settings, and I'm very sorry to say that they won't apply to my machine. The VPC II has got two DIP switches, S1 with six switches, and S2 with eight.

Any further ideas?

No idea. Does the VPC II have an on-board mouse interface? Does it have on-board printer port? Does it have a switchable CPU frequency? How are the DIP settings on your machine set right now? Maybe we could make some conclusions based on that...

According to this page, the VPC II has EGA on a custom expansion board, not AT compatible 16-bit ISA? I don't know how accurate that page is, it belongs to a general computer collector who might make false conclusions due to insufficient research.

http://www.datasalen.se/Utstallning/Data/Victor/victorvpc2eng.htm

Here is another Swedish collector who in September 2009 were donated a VPC IIe (?) with manuals. You could try to contact them (Kontakt) and ask if they can jot down the DIP switch settings from their manuals.

http://www.abc80.net/Nyheter/nyheter.html

My VPC II is equipped with a Fujitsu 8086-2@8MHz (and an 8087-2, which I am trying to get to work), an RS232(C)-port, which could be used for a mouse, and a printer port. I don't know if the CPU frequency is switchable, maybe the DIP settings allow this.

The machine has got five standard 8-bit ISA ports, one of them is enhanced, so it has got a bigger slot connector. I installed a Soundblaster 1.5 and a hard disc controller, which work correctly, so I am shure of it is standard ISA.

Thank you very much for the links! I contacted both websites, maybe they can help me with my needs.

Best regards,

braxlan

Hi
What Vicki do you have? Is it the desktop version. I am interested in a copy of your manual and any other info that you may have. I have a desktop Vicki but do not know much about it. Please visit my site at www.actsirius1.co.uk and take a look. I am interested in any of the Victor computers and any information on any of them regardless of language as I can get it translated.

I have the Vicki 8088, as I've come to learn there was a Vicki 286 as well. Actually I have two sets of the manual (and Victor MS-DOS 4.01 on floppies), so either I might scan it or offer the spare copy for trade.

Manuals and Floppies

Manuals and Floppies

Sounds like a good idea on the trade. What is it you are looking for? I did not know about a Vicki 286 any info on when it was released . I have a huge amount of Victor documentation but it does not mention a Vicki 286.I had a couple of the Victor 286 clones that were about in the early 1990's but these were made for Victor by other makers. :D

Last edited:
Maybe I misremember about a 286. This is what I found in old issues of InfoWorld magazine:

Senior editor Paul Freiberger said:
Victor Technologies has introduced Vickie, a portable version of the Victor 9000 at the Systems 83 computer show in Munich, Germany.

No additional info in that article.

Victor Technologies employee Bob Costello said:
Within the last month, Victor has announced the availability of the portable Vicki for shipment in the United States. The Vicki has had a terrific impact on the European market since its introduction earlier this year.

Gordy Slack said:
Victor's chief products are the Victor 9000 business computer and the recently released Vicki portable (which has been selling well in Europe for nearly a year).

Renee Matthews said:
The two desktop machines include the VPCII286 [..] and the Vicki, an XT compatible based on an 8088-2 microprocessor. [..] The VPCII286 and Vicki will be available in the first quarter of 1988. The VPCII286 will retail for $1,895 and the Vicki will be priced at $1,095.

I don't know about the Vicki(e) portable mentioned in 1984. Victor Technologies filed for chapter 11 in February 1984 and was picked up by Swedish company Datatronic, which happened to be the Commodore agent at the time. Just to be clear, my Vicki is not a portable in any kind.

Sorry for the delay just noticed a second page had been added ( I need new eyes)
Victor went on to market 286 machines but not made by them but by other makers such a Koyecera. The Vicki was only produced in 2 models the desktop and the luggable. Both were 8086 computers. It was strange that they released two entirely different machines with the same name. That was a bit strange.
The Vicki desktop was not sold in the UK only in Europe again I find that a bit strange when Victor should have been trying to break into the XT/AT market with a decent desktop.
I will soon be posting up details of the Vicki luggable on my site including a advertising brochure of the period.
I understand that the version of the Vicki you have is the desktop that is why I would like a copy of your manual and anything else you may have on this computer. I got my Vicki desktop via Ebay from Germany some years ago. Unfortunately It was the compute only and not any documentation at all.

Has interest been lost

Has interest been lost

Has interest been lost in this thread. There has been no post for some time and there are still questions to be answered.
Please post these answers and lets do some real talking

Answers? Well, the original poster asked for DIP settings nobody yet has discovered. Then it was you begging me for a spare copy of a manual. That may still happen, but I've been much too busy with other matters in life to remember or evaluate whether I would like to part with a spare copy or not.

If anyone else has a source for the DIP settings of the VPC II, I suppose the main question should be solved soon.

DIP Settings

DIP Settings

Thanks for your "I may or may not" reply. I also have many interests that take precedence over my computing interests. I also moderate a busy user website daily for vintage machines. I assist users when possible without any mights or might not. I and many users are willing to share what they own.
I do not beg anything. I asked you if you would trade your manuals. It is clear that you do not.

I have a recently found a full manual for the Victor VPC II with the information requested plus a full set of system disks and diagnostic disk and was going to post the information requested and if the poster would like copies of the disks. It is a very simple matter to decide if you want to share what you have. I don't need to remember anything or evaluate anything it just takes a conscious decision.

I suggest you keep your manuals if it is so hard for you to make a simple decision as to whether you want to part with what is obviously an important part of your life.

I have a recently found a full manual for the Victor VPC II with the information requested plus a full set of system disks and diagnostic disk and was going to post the information requested and if the poster would like copies of the disks. It is a very simple matter to decide if you want to share what you have. I don't need to remember anything or evaluate anything it just takes a conscious decision.

Yes, I really would like to have the full manual and the disks. How can I get them?

Thanks in advance,

braxlan

Back