• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

ibm 5160 motherboard troubles

redhawk579

Experienced Member
i plugged in the computer to find the psu was bad so I replaced it and tried again I then blew c56, then blew cs8 if anybody could help I would appreciate it :)

i plugged in the computer to find the psu was bad so I replaced it and tried again I then blew c56, then blew cs8 if anybody could help I would appreciate it :)

The capacitors on the board has dried out, and must therefore be replaced. Dry capacitors will not work as intended, and sometimes they even short the ground and power lines, which will cause a lot of heat to be generated. To fix it, just remove the capacitors and solder in some new ones.

The role of the capacitors on the motherboard is to filter out any electrical noise on the power lines, and they are therefore not mandatory for the machine to work. Finding new capacitors should be an easy task, and I will recomend capacitors without polarity.

After replacing the blown capacitors, you may want to try with the original powersupply again. It may not nessecarely be broken, but it may have cut the power because of the bad capacitors shorting the power lines.

do you think i should go and replace all the capacitors or just the ones that went , if so do I replace them with tantulum capacitors (which are the ones that went or do you think I should use ceramic capacitors. also do you know what c1 does

Last edited:
do you think i should go and replace all the capacitors or just the ones that went
Do you literaly mean ALL capacitors, or did you mean tantalum capacitors? I suspect that you meant the latter. There is always going to be the possibility that you replace the two tantalum capacitors now only to find that others fail later. I've acquired 5150/5160 motherboards that had one tantalum capacitor fail, and in their many hours of operation afterwards, nothing else has failed. So I suggest that you only replace only the two ones that have failed.

Information on failing tantalum capacitors is at http://members.dodo.com.au/~slappanel555/failure.htm

if so do I replace them with tantalum capacitors (which are the ones that went or do you think I should use ceramic capacitors.
To maintain the same look-and-feel, I suggest tantalum.

also do you know what c1 does
C1 is adjustable and known as "color adjust" (and other names). It is used to fine tune the colours that appear on a connected composite monitor or TV.

Re: replacing ALL caps.

I think the best practice is, if it isn't broken, don't fix it. (With the exception of some notable highly failure-prone devices, which I do not believe the 5160 is.)

Those three legged tantalum capacitors aren't easy to find and are a bit expensive. Makes sense to hold
onto a few dead motherboards or cards , so you can remove one or two if needed :)

Back