• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Hard drive for IBM PS/2 Model 25

aitopes

Hello!
Some time ago I bought two IBM PS/2 Model 25 new. The machines had never been used, and even had the security seal placed source.

These computers have BASIC in ROM but no hard drive. I would put a hard disk, but not that kind of record I need.

Anybody can tell me what type of hard drive I can put on an IBM PS 2 Model 25?

Thanks!

PS: Attached are some photos.

SDC10407.JPG SDC10398.jpg SDC10417.JPG SDC10393.jpg SDC10390.JPG

You can put in anything that connects to an ISA card, but I imagine you want the original drive...bad news, they are totally proprietary (to the Model 25 and 30, and their submodels). Maybe someone can speak up with the models/part numbers (I believe there are only 2 or 3).

Very nice machines...cool stuff.

Yes, cool pictures. They really are dinky machines aren't they :)

That's one thing I like about the PS/2 range: their unusual designs compared to the run of the mill PC-Clones of the era which tended to mimic the XT or AT in case design.

Tez

You can put in anything that connects to an ISA card, but I imagine you want the original drive...bad news, they are totally proprietary (to the Model 25 and 30, and their submodels). Maybe someone can speak up with the models/part numbers (I believe there are only 2 or 3).

God news! :)

I have one 8 bits ISA card and one IDE 107MB hard disk. I try it, thanks .

Very nice machines...cool stuff.

Yes! Are NEW computers. New, in box ;)

Yes, cool pictures. They really are dinky machines aren't they

That's one thing I like about the PS/2 range: their unusual designs compared to the run of the mill PC-Clones of the era which tended to mimic the XT or AT in case design.

Tez

Yes. Are good machines. Pretty and solid old machines :)

I think you might be better off ordering the ZIP drive support program for 8088 / 8086 computers, and using a ZIP drive as a hard drive.
I have a PS/2 Model 25, but I'm about to send it to a new home.

Thanks!
If your hard disk fails, I'll try it with a ZIP drive.

I guess feeding the puck is going to be a "problem", but I can take 12V and 5V from some of the wires from the power supply.

Thank you all!

If you've any problems with the 8-bit ISA and/or IDE drive, you can always build yourself an XT-IDE and run a CF card for a hard drive. It's a little more expensive than using PalmZIP (assuming that you already have the ZIP drive), but it would allow you to keep the machine looking as if it's original.

Ah, yes, I should have mentioned this about power...if you are confident enough in yourself to make an adapter:

8525_0029_homemade-hdd-power.jpg

Let me know if you have any issues.

Back