• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Can I Use a Trident TVGA 9000B with an IBM 5160 XT

johnnydicamillo

Experienced Member
I have a Trident TVGA9000i and it doesn't work in a 8 bit slot, but other cards with the same chip seems to do. The only way to know is to try it.

I got a 16 bit ISA video card the other day with an XT/AT jumper on it (never had one of those). I will dig it out later and see what brand and model it is.

Cardinal technologies VGA100Plus. It has 2 small memory chips so I assume it is 256K RAM? The chip used is Cirrus Logic.

Last edited:
Hello, I wanted to know if I could use the Trident TVGA9000B video card in my IBM 5160 xt, because on http://wiki.vintage-computer.com/index.php/8bit_Friendly_ISA_VGA_cards it says it will support a TVGA 9000, however I am not sure if it is the same thing. Any help or guidence would be great thanks.

Here is the link to the card I want http://cgi.ebay.com/Trident-TVGA900...230?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51991215b6

I have a TVGA9000 and TVGA9000i cards, and both of them work in 8-bit slots (or with XT). Usually Trident cards have 3 jumpers, that need to be closed for 8-bit bus. Jumpers actually have nothing to do with 8-bit, but they rather connect chip's address lines that are normally connected to unlatched address lines LA19-LA17 (available on 16-bit AT slots) to latched address lines SA19-SA17.
Picture quality is quite low, but I can see pads for jumpers (no jumpers soldered) on the card you want to buy. So if you have a soldering iron you can just short these jumper pads with pieces of wire...

I got a 16 bit ISA video card the other day with an XT/AT jumper on it (never had one of those). I will dig it out later and see what brand and model it is.

Cardinal technologies VGA100Plus. It has 2 small memory chips so I assume it is 256K RAM? The chip used is Cirrus Logic.

Cirrus Logic CL-GD540x based cards usually will work in 8-bit slots, but CL-GD542x won't. The number of memory chips has nothing to do with memory size, I have a CL-GD5420 card with two memory chips that have 1 MiB of RAM (4 Mbit in each chip).

I've had luck with a few different cards, fastest being a Tseng ET4000ax ... most have a 8-16 bit jumper on the card.

Back