Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules and Etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Rule 1: Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Rule 2: Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Rule 3: Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

Rule 4: "PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Rule 5: Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

How Do I Perform a Low Level Format on A IBM 5160XT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

when I enter the 1st option it says "No space to create a DOS partition" and when I do a low level format it only lasts a 5-7 minuets

Comment

Ok. First select 3 and delete the partition, then select option 1, then try format. Just to be sure, remove the floppy disk in the floppy drive after starting FDisk and before doing this.
      Last edited by per; June 5, 2011, 01:32 PM.
      Current systems owned by me:
      Vintage:IBM PC/XT submodel 087 ( 1983 ), [Kon]tiki-100 rev. C (1983), Compaq Portable I ( 1984 ), IBM PC/XT submodel 078 ( 1985 ), IBM PC/XT286 ( ~1986 ), 3x Nintendo Entertainement Systems ( 1987 ).
      Obsolete:Commodore A500 ( ~1990 ), IBM PS/2 model 70/386 type 8570-161 ( 1991 ), Atari Lynx II ( ~1992 ), Generic Intel 486SX PC ( ~1993 ), AT/T Globalyst Pentium w/FDIV bug MB ( 1994 ), Compaq 486DX4 laptop ( ~1995 ).

Comment

"No DOS partitions to delete" it says

Comment

Originally posted by johnnydicamillo View Post
          "No DOS partitions to delete" it says
          Exactly what is the switches on the controller set to?
          Vintage:IBM PC/XT submodel 087 ( 1983 ), [Kon]tiki-100 rev. C (1983), Compaq Portable I ( 1984 ), IBM PC/XT submodel 078 ( 1985 ), IBM PC/XT286 ( ~1986 ), 3x Nintendo Entertainement Systems ( 1987 ).
          Obsolete:Commodore A500 ( ~1990 ), IBM PS/2 model 70/386 type 8570-161 ( 1991 ), Atari Lynx II ( ~1992 ), Generic Intel 486SX PC ( ~1993 ), AT/T Globalyst Pentium w/FDIV bug MB ( 1994 ), Compaq 486DX4 laptop ( ~1995 ).

Comment

ahh how about it i make a video and take pictures, that may help

Comment

We have five pages of posts in this thread now, many of them just a single line.

I would strongly suggest using an instant messaging client or IRC and getting in touch with somebody who can help you step through your problems in real time. This really is not a great use of the forum; a summary of what was wrong after you find out would be great, but not these constant line by line updates.

Comment

here is the video
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CC9CP9-TL4g

Comment

OK, I can barely make that video out. But, it looks like you've got a non-DOS partition on the disk. I don't see (or can't read) the option for deleting a non-dos partition.

I haven't read the whole thread, but here's the basic steps for setting up a disk on a machine like this:

- Boot DOS from floppy, run debug and enter the low level format utility on the controller. After the disk is formatted, reboot (DOS caches the partition table in memory).
                  - Back in DOS, run FDISK to create a DOS partition. Reboot again.
                  - Back in DOS, you should now have a C: drive, but you won't be able to store files on it, since it's not formatted. Run format c: /s to format the drive and make it bootable.
                  - Take the disk out of the drive and reboot, the computer should boot from the hard drive.

What version of DOS are you using? DOS version 3.3 is what you'll probably want on that.

-Ian

Comment

Help with my IBM 5160 XT Hard Drive

Ok the other post was getting too long so here is whats up.

I have performed a low level format on my XT.
                    The method I used was found here http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcfo...hp/t-1890.html

The format only lasted about 5 - 10 min.

Then I went in to fdisk and it says "There isn't enough space for a dos partition"

So my guess is that it is only formating a little bit of the drive.

Could someone help with this,

here is a video that I made

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CC9CP9-TL4g

Comment

Please, do not create another thread for the same problem.

I moved the first post from the new thread here.

Comment

According to the video, your hard disk is properly found, but for some reason it thinks that something non-DOS is occupying it. In order to solve this, you can try to manually wipe the partition table on the very first sector of the hard disk drive. This can be done in Debug.

For example:
                        f cs:100 2000 00[enter]
                        a 100[enter]
                        jmp 0102[enter]
                        mov ah,00[enter]
                        mov dl,80[enter]
                        int 13h[enter]
                        mov ax,0310[enter]
                        mov bx,1000[enter]
                        xor cx,cx[enter]
                        mov dx,0080[enter]
                        int 13h[enter]
                        int 3[enter]
                        [enter]
                        g[enter]

Of course, NEVER EVER use this code on a recent computer unless you really want to reformat the HDD from scratch.

I also see that there are some BIOS extension which boots with some startup text. It's impossible to see what it is due to the video quality, but I take for granted that it's from a VGA card.

Comment

Originally posted by per View Post
                          According to the video, your hard disk is properly found, but for some reason it thinks that something non-DOS is occupying it. In order to solve this, you can try to manually wipe the partition table on the very first sector of the hard disk drive. This can be done in Debug.

For example:
                          f cs:100 2000 00[enter]
                          a 100[enter]
                          jmp 0102[enter]
                          mov ah,00[enter]
                          mov dl,80[enter]
                          int 13h[enter]
                          mov ax,0310[enter]
                          mov bx,1000[enter]
                          xor cx,cx[enter]
                          mov dx,0080[enter]
                          int 13h[enter]
                          int 3[enter]
                          [enter]
                          g[enter]

Of course, NEVER EVER use this code on a recent computer unless you really want to reformat the HDD from scratch.

I also see that there are some BIOS extension which boots with some startup text. It's impossible to see what it is due to the video quality, but I take for granted that it's from a VGA card.
                          I just tried it, and same thing, Would I do this and then do the low level format?
                          Its a 20mb hard drive, and it is still showing that the size is 614 and it is a non-dos partition

Comment

I agree with per in that FDISK is reading the drive okay at the low level. So consider the low-level format to be succesfully completed.

And I agree that FDISK is not making sense of the contents of the partition table within the MBR (Master Boot Record - first sector on drive), and that wiping the MBR is the way forward.

I just tried it, and same thing,
                            I tried per's DEBUG code too and it didn't work for me either. Looking at it, I figured that it was because the starting sector was set to 0 instead of 1. The code worked for me when I then changed the "xor cx,cx" line to "mov cx,1". Give that a go.

After that, try FDISK again and hopefully you'll find that the non-DOS partition is gone when you use option [4]. For option [4], you are expecting FDISK (the DOS 2.1 version) to indicate "no partitions defined".

If that is the case, the sequence would then be:
                            a. Choose option [1]
                            b. When then asked the confirmation question, answer [Y]
                            c. Reboot from floppy.
                            d. At the A> prompt, enter FORMAT C: /S
                            e. At the "press any key ..." prompt, press the any key.
                            f. When formatting is complete, remove the floppy, then reboot the 5160.

Comment

thanks soo much everyone, You guys finally helped me get my machine going

=)

Comment

To remove a non-dos partition from that drive using FDISK you will need to use a version of DOS greater than 4.01. As someone else mentioned, wiping the Master Boot Record might help (usage: a:\> fdisk /mbr ).

More to the point, is there any reason why you are using DOS 2.10? It was the first version that would support hard drives (and couldn't have a partition size bigger than 16MB). Make the effort to get at least version 3.1 (or even better, 3.3, which was the best DOS for the XT IMO).

Comment

Working...
                                X