• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Everex EV-640 8-bit video card

pianoman72

Experienced Member
Hello all,

I have a new 8-bit video card, called Everex EV-640, which came with a recent purchase. While I believe the connectors to be EGA and parallel, I cannot find any documentation online about the jumper switches, and how to set them for my IBM XT computer, using the IBM 5154 display.

I have attached 3 pictures, using my average digital camera. Sorry for the blurriness.

I tried it as it is in my IBM XT (using correct motherboard switches), but could not get a picture on the screen. Of course, my computer and screen work with a different EGA card, but I am hoping to use this Everex card, because of the added parallel port.

Any info. on this card would be highly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• ev-640 003.jpg
    ev-640 003.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 1
  • ev-640 001.jpg
    ev-640 001.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 1
  • ev-640 002.jpg
    ev-640 002.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 1
I know a lot of video/parallel combo cards were MDA/HERCULES not EGA, I am not finding anything on that model card so I cant be sure. Is there a date on that card anywhere? If its early to mid 80's I would bet on it being MDA/HERC, if its mid to late 80's its most likely EGA.

Also does your system POST and start reading HD/Floppy when the card is installed and you just have no picture, or does it beep error codes at you and not boot at all?

Hi, and thanks for your input.
I have a year printed on the card, which is 1985. What strikes me as being EGA, is that it looks like the card has at least 128k of memory on the card, judging by the number and inscription on the chips (I count 8 memory chips, named TMS4416-15NL). The card is fully populated, as well.

Searching similar model numbers on the web, I found the EV-659 model to be EGA, but also fully supporting the earlier modes, such as CGA/Hercules/MDA.

My system does seem to POST, however all I get on the video is just a blurry/wavy image, with no beep error codes. I did not wait long enough to see if the floppy or hard drives would be accessed, for fear of damage to the IBM 5154 monitor.

Take a look at the memory datasheet. the TMS4416 is a 16Kx4 bit (half-byte) chip. So if you have 8 of them, you have 64K. The EV-640 was a sort of "combo" card--it could do both Hercules monochrome as well as CGA graphics.

Chuck, thanks so much man.
That would make sense about the CGA/Hercules combo. I can't believe I didn't check the memory datasheet before posting it wrong.
Now if I could only get the schematics of the switches, I would be all set to use the card with either my monochrome or CGA monitor.
You are a wonderful help.

Assuming that this card could use Hercules mode, would it be ok to use it alongside/as a secondary option to an IBM CGA card? If so, would there be any conflicts? Since I don't know the jumper pin positions yet, I have to experiment with both CGA and MDA monitors, to see which one would work with the Everest EV-640 card.

I am thinking to add this card to my IBM XT with CGA setup, which uses a real CGA card and monitor. Of course, my main concern is not blowing up either the IBM 5153 or 5151 monitors.

Any thoughts on the safest way to proceed with this?
Thank you all.

Back