• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

IBM 5151 Monochrome monitor issues

jwhitney

Pleasant Grove, UT (30mi South of Salt Lake)
I have an IBM 5151 monochrome monitor that has not been used for many years. I cleaned it up, inside and out, and turned it on using the B&W/Parallel card in my IBM 5150 PC. It worked, but the 80x24 character image only took up 60% of the screen's real estate. I adjusted the V-Size control to max and it only got to about 1" from the top and bottom edge. The H-Width gets me to 3/4" from right and left side.

Any ideas?

Yup. Get your voltmeter out and the schematic for the monitor (available online) and start checking power supply voltages. Probably a bad capacitor.

Another possibility, depending on your handling of monitor, is that the deflection yoke on the CRT neck has loosed and slid toward the back of the case. That one's easy--just slide it toward the screen face and maybe use a drop of paint of lacquer between the yoke and the neck to make sure it doesn't happen again.

Agreed, probably a bad capacitor.

Also remember that you're not going to get the text all the way to the very edges. At least, probably not. Remember that this era of monitor was not meant to go from absolute edge to edge, there should be a half inch gap (or slightly more) between the bezel of the monitor and the edges of the text.

Even graphic monitors didn't go to the absolute edges of the screen until later on.

-Ian

Back