• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

AT&T 6300 keyboard!

Bobby4004

I'm trying to locate an oddball keyboard for the PC 6300, or alternatively, an adapter that would allow me to use an existing AT/XT keyboard. The problem is that the AT&T PC 6300 connector is a 9 pin thing that looks like a serial connector! Any suggestions other than buying one on ebay for $80!!
Thanks - Bob

The 6300 keyboard connector has only 4 pins connected, but requires 12 volts, unlike the PC keyboard. The other pins are Ground, Clock and Data. The protocol is a little different from a PC or XT keyboard in that it's bi-directional and the scan codes are different.

However, with a voltage regulator to drop the +12 and a microcontroller, you should be able to fake up a PS/2 style keyboard to do what you need. Just use the XT-XT keybaord converter, add an 7805 voltage regulator and a bunch of programming, and you're ready to go.

Edit: I found a referece that says that pin 9 on the PC6300 interface is +5; so you might be able to get rid of the voltage regulator.

Last edited:
Bob,

Are you still looking? I have a large collection of AT&T PC 6300 stuff (and a website! Hasn't been updated in quite some time...) and I DO have an extra keyboard. It's in fairly good condition with minimal damage, however, it's missing one of the function keys (possibly F2 or F7). It was in good working order when I tested it, however I've had it in the closet for about a year or two now. Let me know if you're still interested, preferably via PM.

--Jack

Back