• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

I got 2 old PC's for $20.00 - 5150 / 5170

purple

So here's the story. I first acquired the IBM 5170. I was dumping my trash at the landfill and there is an area to drop off electronics. I glanced over on my way out and seen the desktop unit sitting in the pile. I wasn't sure what it was when I left, but I had a plan to snatch it. The landfill has a policy that you cant pick things out. I went home and got a dead crt monitor and went back to the landfill with my wife. (CRT monitor was an excuse to be at the pile) It was perfect when we pulled up to the pile. The one landfill worker had his back turned. I told my wife, as soon as I get the CRT monitor to put in the pile, you run over and grab the desktop unit and slip it in the trunk. hehe. So at the right moment, we made the swap. Landfill worker did not see the desktop being snatched. When I got it home, it turned out to be a IBM 5170. I hooked it up to a monitor, and fired it up. It worked perfectly and booted to dos from a 5 1/4 disk. Here's a picture of it.

DSCN1714.JPG

Secondly, The IBM 5150. A real find! I went to a computer recycling place to drop off some junky pentium 2 PC's for work. After unloading, I asked if they had any old computers for sale. A worker walked me over to a IBM 5150 that had been on the backroom shelf for a couple years. He looked up the going price on ebay and said it would cost about 250.00 to purchase it from him. I wanted to see it run. So another worker hooked it up to boot it. There was no video on the screen. He rebooted it multiple times to try to get it to work. On the last time he booted it, I heard the ole disk drive and beep, but no video. I quickly said, hey, it doesn't work correctly, so I'll give you 20 bux for it. He scratched his head for a minute and said ok. I paid him the 20 bux and went on my way. When I got it home I hooked everything up. Well it turns out the worker that was presenting the 5150 to me did not have the monitor connector pushed in all the way. HA. The 5150 worked flawlessly. For 20 Dollars I got a 5150 WITH color monitor, Original clicky keyboard, manuals/Original IBM dos. Here's a picture of the 5150.

DSCN1753.JPG

Lucky finds, especially on getting the PC recycling place to come down on the price of the 5150!

Don't you hate those no-scavenging policies at the landfill? Ours technically has one, but I think everyone (including the workers) ignores it. Picked up a hand truck, perfectly good Craftsman 10" chop saw, and a copper/brass chandelier from the scrap metals bin not too long ago.

Lucky finds, especially on getting the PC recycling place to come down on the price of the 5150!

Don't you hate those no-scavenging policies at the landfill? Ours technically has one, but I think everyone (including the workers) ignores it. Picked up a hand truck, perfectly good Craftsman 10" chop saw, and a copper/brass chandelier from the scrap metals bin not too long ago.

Yeah... they weren't smart enough to hook it up right so I got a deal. I do hate those policies. I would love to scavenge the pile every weekend. hehe..

I like the part where you asked your wife to pickup the 5170 AT while you get the monitor....an AT must weigh twice as much as a monitor :)

Congratulations on a great find !

I like the part where you asked your wife to pickup the 5170 AT while you get the monitor....an AT must weigh twice as much as a monitor :)

Congratulations on a great find !

hehe.. That is funny cause she is tiny, but she lifted that AT with authority. Maybe adrenaline?... hehe

Great finds. While I understand that many landfills have recycling policies on their electronics and metal and whatnot, the scrappers that work for the county aren't really careful. Not only that, there ARE people that will actually use the stuff that's dumped there, keeping things out of a landfill for another few months/years. It's sad... though I understand it. When a landfill allows free picking among the stuff being dumped there, then scrappers will hang out there, hounding people, and generally just being a nuisance.

At the local dump in town here, the workers turn the other way for certain people once they get to know you. I can now dig through things with abandon, but unfortunately, not too many vintage systems are to be found in my area. Although I did recently pull a 19" widescreen flat-panel that needed a few caps and a custom-built Core 2 Duo system that was only missing the hard drive.

Back