• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

DOS FDD Imaging Utility for 5150/5155/5160

pearce_jj

Veteran Member
As above really - needs to be able to create and restore images of 160K and above, and run on these three machines! If you have such a utility that works reliably without busting my drives please post!

Since this utility creates raw disk images, they can then be dd'ed out from a modern Linux box, correct?

Absolutely! And you can go a step further and use the mount with loopback (-o) to take a peek inside of the image right from the Linux machine. I usually use the readonly option as well to avoid corrupting anything, but you could mount it read-write and fix something if you needed to.

Lots of imagers can create a standard hex dump of a floppy, and I used to use one called DITU. But a lot of them gave up too quickly - you would be amazed at how many errors can be resolved by doing a few more retries. (In extreme cases I clean the floppy drive heads and try reading again.)

Lots of imagers can create a standard hex dump of a floppy, and I used to use one called DITU. But a lot of them gave up too quickly - you would be amazed at how many errors can be resolved by doing a few more retries. (In extreme cases I clean the floppy drive heads and try reading again.)

My main reason for using WinImage...it will at least let you choose to abort/retry/ignore when it finds something it's not happy about. I'd come across a disk imaging suite at some point that retried sectors up to 1000 times, but I found that to be irritating as it would waste all day attempting to recover what was probably entirely lost, and then you have to clean the drive afterwards. I'll probably be switching to your utility for my DOS disk imaging needs!

Back