• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Picked up 5150 - Dead Keyboard

pearce_jj

Veteran Member
I took a gamble on a 5150 (and about 3 hours in the car!) which seems to have paid off - later 5150 with red and grey boxed manuals & media, ST251-1 HDD, and 5151 monitor to match. All looks to be working other than the keyboard - one from a 5160 works fine though. I was quite surprised to find the HDD in there still working (and the 60W PSU with it).

Anyway, any thoughts on the keyboard would be greatly appreciated.

Also, is the exact model type printed on these anywhere?

The keyboard looks physically identical to the 5160 keyboard, is that right?

Cable sounds like a good place to start, thanks.

Yes indeed. The machine seems to be as it left RBS presumably some time in the late 80's, complete with what I think is an IBM 5250 twinax card and two extra serial ports via some kind of clip-on steel mounting at the back. Anyway, off-topic!

Problem with the keyboard was indeed the cable, earth and two other conductors broken a little past the cable gland. Cable spliced and working good - but heat-shrink is showing unfortunately due to the location of the break. Would be nice to source some new coiled cable from somewhere ideally (6-core STP).

As an aside the keyboard has cleaned up really well with just 'baby wipes'.

Congrats on fixing the keyboard.

I wouldn't worry about a little heat shrink showing :) As long as it works even Band-Aids are okay !

Back