• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

EGA monitor wrong colors

DonutKing

Experienced Member
I have an old EGA monitor, an ECM-5400

I'm using a Paradise PEGA-1A EGA adapter, presumably this one http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/graphics-cards/A-B/AUVA-COMPUTER-INC-EGA-Monochrome-HEGA-II.html

I've noticed that some EGA games have odd colors. I ran a DIAGS utility that I found on a Hyundai DOS 3.3 floppy that did a video test. None of the 'high intensity' modes are showing. Normal and high-intensity text looks identical, light and dark colors looks the same, brown looks like red, and on one of the tests the background didn't display at all.

NRqXq.jpg

RJhNY.jpg

vaQRV.jpg

Am I right in thinking that one of the wires in the monitor cable is broken, which could cause these problems?

If a cable is broken it would be the I of RGBI because all the base colors are there. (Pin6), But it might be a bad card.

Later,
dabone

I've tried 2 cards (Both similar t othe one linked above) so I assume it is indeed the cable.
Is it possible that I've configured the DIP switches on the card incorrectly? I've set them all for enhanced RGB

Does the ECM-5400 have any switches on it (obviously apart from a power switch)? An EGA like multi-sync monitor that I have, has a 'colour mode' switch on the rear that must be the correct position when it's attached to an IBM PC family computer, otherwise I start seeing the same kind of issues you are describing.

Back