• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Vintage games

gerrydoire

Veteran Member
King's Quest I: Quest for the Crown (PC) COMPLETE RARE

eBAY Item number: 140549086776

Would you pay $300 for this item, thoughts?

I'm a HUGE Sierra fan... so much so that I was bidding up to $150 shipped for a PCjr just because it had the Kings Quest w/ the overlay with it... but couldn't see going higher, as I couldn't justify having another Jr/monitor that would be tough to find a home for, the printer would've been tossed or donated to someone, and the (few) software titles kept. Just couldn't do it... That said, a 2nd-release KQ with the typewriter overlay sold for $200 a few weeks ago.. That seller was extremely kind - she sent me a 600dpi scan of the overlay, which was amazing. Now if I can just find someone w/ the overlay for the Chiclet keyboard.. and then some people willing to sell their original overlays (with or without games) without charging an arm and a leg... :)

What about games rarer than that?
I wonder how much the PCjr version of M.U.L.E. would fetch if it ever turned up again on ebay :)

Any vintage PC game has a hard time selling at just $30.00 let alone $300.00. Look on E-Bay and you'll see a lot of games with starting bids of $10 to $20. One thing they all have in common is the lack of offers.

Good luck though.

If it is rare somebody will buy it. Game software is funny like that.

I wanted to play some old DOS fligt sims recently so I won a few on ebay (Aces of the Pacific, 1946 expansion for the same game, and Aces over Europe). I like those games back in the day and wanted to play them again. Cost me something like $16 for all 3 shipped complete with original boxes.

Bettablue, I've never seen a PCjr Kings Quest 1st/2nd/3rd release sell for less than $50 at auction in over 3 years of watching (with the exception of one that Mike Bruttman listed on the VGM, which I bought - thanks, Mike!). Reason being, they're relatively rare, and collectors like having the real first release, not the 4th-release cardboard box w/ the gatefold cover (also relatively rare to find, actually). 1st release KQ had the chiclet keyboard overlay. 2nd release KQ had the typewriter overlay (this is what the_hackery is selling). 3rd release KQ had no overlay. You cannot tell the difference between the releases without the existence of the overlay - there is no difference in date, wording, PN, nothing. This is why I don't really care if I come across the overlays with or without the game - I have two copies of PCjr KQ already, neither with an overlay.

Unknown_K - Let me know if you're wanting to unload the expansion in the future. I think that the boxed/complete 1946 Expansion is still needed for the collection :)

Software IS funny. The floppy expansions of most games typically sell for more than the games themselves at auction. Why? Because fewer people bought the expansions, as most of the games with expansions saw a CD release complete with all expansions for usually only a few dollars more than the floppy expansion itself. That's also why they're so much more rarely seen.

A *lot* of games priced with BIN's of $30+ don't sell- especially when paired with poor pictures that show no detail and no level of completeness. Thing is, if one looks at the auction-style listings of the same games, a lot of these will come close and sometimes even surpass the BIN's.

For my $0.02, I don't mind a reasonably-priced BIN auction, but I hate the ones (draconian_games comes to mind) that constantly price their games at the upper echelon of the pricing structure, but are too lazy to take detailed pictures, nor to test their games, nor to even ensure that what they're listing the game as is correct (case in point - that guy is selling a full-retail Jill of the Jungle for $99.99 AND a shareware-only release, listed as the full release, at $99.99 - I've even emailed him telling him the difference and suggesting he modify the price, linking him to other auctions of the same product. The idiot didn't even respond).

Software is software... someone always wants it, and someone is always willing to pay for it (not everyone likes just downloading a TOSEC collection and writing new floppies - I like the materials that came with my software, for instance)

Back