• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Touch up paint for 5150

Fire-Flare

Experienced Member
I want to get rid of the scratches on my chassis and cover; what base, color, and manufacturer should I use?

Also, what will remove permanent marker on the cover without damaging the paint underneath?

Also, what will remove permanent marker on the cover without damaging the paint underneath?
The subject of permanent marker removal has been discussed a few times in these forums.
You can see those discussions by entering site:vintage-computer.com permanent marker into Google.

The scratches can be made a lot less visible by cleaning thoroughly - I've used Autogylm car polish to very good effect.

The paint has quite a rough (flecked?) finish though, so it may be best to rub it all back and paint it smooth using for example car spray. A local paint shop should be able to mix up a tin to match I'd have thought.

The paint has quite a rough (flecked?) finish though, so it may be best to rub it all back and paint it smooth using for example car spray. A local paint shop should be able to mix up a tin to match I'd have thought.

I wouldn't bother with the sanding. Prime the bare metal areas and then spray on a couple of coats of a color that's as close as you can manage. It's amazing how many sins can go invisible in a textured uniform finish.

shouldn't there be a proggie on the net somewhere that can help you match a color exactly? Inquire of some manufacturers of paint. Something might turn up.

I think the trick to matching paint is more about adding the actual (solid) pigments then adding other paints. But what do I know.

We used to repaint a lot of scratched IBM stuff back when it was "new". The local car paint supplier had a recipe for "IBM Grey". AFAIK most of the plastic was painted too, which is useful for us "restorers".
There are "stone finish" paints for plastic available which might possibly disguise badly scuffed areas of textured paint. You can always over-spray with the correct colour. once you've got a "slightly rougher than required" surface.

once you find the right color, you could always mix in some grout to simulate the existing finish. But then again it might alter your color a bit (alas just like adding solid pigmentation). Just thinking out loud. It hurts worse when I do that :(
As an aside, you could probably mix in powdered aluminum with paint and paint the inside of your Mac or whatever to effect RFI/EMI shielding. Or you can use the same powdered aluminum (allegedly available at better paint stores) to effect a thermite explosion. Check w/the local authorities to determine if therminte is legal in your county/municipality.
Hey did you ever notice when you go down south, or sometimes even west, that people are very county-oriented. It's not their God, family, country that matters most, but their flippin county! You know when you're in an area where everyone's talking county, you liable to get run over by a tacky colored Dodge at any moment! Yeehaw!

Back