• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

I got my First Vintage PC

AppleIIfan

Banned
I got a 386DX 40 in the haul of goodness. This thing is tricked out.. 32MB RAM, 1GB Hard Drive.. SoundBlaster CD-ROM.

Currently has windows 95 on it, But its going to be taken back to MS-DOS 6.2.2 and Windows 3.1, I have a 3com EtherLink ISA Ethernet card to install in her too.

Im not much of a PC guy, but this one will be nice to have to keep some old dos games on

Pics or it didn't happen ;-)

But yeah, the 386 were cool... my Uncle bought one after we got his XT class machine (yup, the HeadStart LX-40). It was from a vendor named Vobis HighScreen. Pretty cool desktop with removable HDD, 3.5" and 5.25" FDD, also 386 at 40MHz, Tseng Labs ET4000 videocard and a 120MB Seagate harddisk and 4MB RAM. Also MS-DOS 5.0 and Win 3.1...

Oh yeah, and a really cool LED display to show the 40MHz :cool:

I think he still uses it sometimes... he did a lot with it.

There she is.. No lid came with it, but thats alright.. I think ill just get some lexan and screw onto it. maybe light it up a bit.

IMG_1302.jpg

Not that I'm an authoritative figure of all things PC but that's an interesting case. I've never in my years of computing seen a tower with the drives at the bottom..thought I've seen people install things upside down. Is that what I'm looking at or was this innovative?

Not that I'm an authoritative figure of all things PC but that's an interesting case. I've never in my years of computing seen a tower with the drives at the bottom..thought I've seen people install things upside down. Is that what I'm looking at or was this innovative?

I agree. I cannot think of any that I may have seen myself. Very interesting, kind of makes it look like it is upside down. Where is the PSU mounted?

I'd love to see some internal shots of that system.

It's decided then.

We need more pix!

... I've not seen that style of case for that era, either. Also, make sure to check the Sound Blaster - if it's a Game Blaster card, I'd be glad to trade you a more compatible Sound Blaster Pro 2.0 for it :D

(you'd be crazy to take me up on that offer, but doing so would make me extremely glad!) ;)

Yup, very interesting case indeed... and very cool too.

I had my 486 DX2-66 in a case a bit like it. Also the drives at the bottom, and on top a bit of black plexi glass with the MHz LED behind it and the reset/turbo switches. Threw it out some time ago because I want another case (don't ask me why but I want to have it in one of those old 286/386 era minitowers with the green MHz LED and the "ribs" along the front lower).

Now all we need are some inside pics too!!! :)

My older Packard Bell PC looks a lot like the picture. It has the drives on the bottom, has the buttons on the upper right side, and has an orange (kind of see through) door that opens up and reveals the floppy drives. The power supply is mounted on the bottom and the PCI card slots are near the top.

Back