• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Qubie' enhanced keyboard 115161

bettablue

Veteran Member
I was looking through an old issue of Byte Magazine and came across this keyboard "QUBIE' ENHANCED KEYBOARD model ff5161" in one of their ads. The keyboard is designed very closely after the original IBM PC XT keyboard, but has a key layout more like an IBM Model M. Its case still has the same shape as the original IBM PC/XT board too. I have attached an image from the magazine for reference.

I was wondering if anyone had ever come across one of these, and more importantly, does anybody have one for sale?

Attachments

• QUBIE' ENHANCED KEYBOARD.jpg
    QUBIE' ENHANCED KEYBOARD.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 1
That looks nice - I like! But I'd be more curious about how it was built. Is it clicky or rubber-dome? Is it Model M clicky, or original 83-key (model F?) clicky? Does it use ALPS Sliders? Etc.

I've a Chicony board that I found at the dump several months back which uses something similar to Alps Sliders. There's a review of it on Geekhack somewhere. It's nice board - I'd use it for a daily driver at work if I wasn't afraid that my coworkers would kill me!

Sounds interesting. I know Chicony made a lot of boards for IBM. Their early PC keyboards were some of the best there were. Sadly, once they started making rubber dome keyboards, they never went back to a mechanical key switch. Still, I do like the IBM branded rubber dome, the 8923 for its feel and somewhat auditory feedback. I even have one I got when someone at work thought he had a clicky. That's how good their rubber domes were. Hell, my 8923 is still functioning and feeling like new. That shows the quality in parts you just don't see any more.

Now to anser your 1st question. The QUBIE' ENHANCED KEYBOARD actually uses the same key switch technology as IBMs XT boards. They have the same feel and auditory feedback as well because they have the same capacitance key switches. What I like about it is the fact that they kept IBMs case design, key switches, but the changed the key layout to be more in line with IBM typewriters. And it still only has 10 function keys.

I really doubt that any of these still exist though. Still, it would be nice to find one.

Well. This is funny. I used to work for Qubie in the 80's. I remember the keyboard well. It was imported and was actually designed using the Keytronics 5151 keyboard as a model. They used a Cherry type keyswitch if memory serves me.

It has a full sized DIN connector, not a PS2 connector. The keyboards had a silent key switch, unlike the IBM which had the audible as well as the tactile feedback. We also had a keyboard come out with a 3"x3" touch pad as a drawing tool as mice were still really new to PC's at the time.

I still have a Qubie 1200 external modem, and kept copies of many of the manuals as mementos. Not sure if I still have one of the keyboards. I'll check.

Back