• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Looking for Headland HT12 UMB and EMS drivers

Megatron-uk

Experienced Member
Hi, the Headland HT12 286 chipset has hardware EMS support. There is an early version of AMI BIOS that I've downloaded and burned to eprom that adds an option to the CMOS settings to partition any on-board extended memory into expanded and extended (eg I have 4Mb - it allows me to add up to 3072kb of extended or expanded, or any 64kb multiple in between). I'm not using that particular BIOS as I have a later one with better speed optimisation settings (0 Memory Wait States, Fast ISA Bus, Shadow RAM relocation etc) that are not present in the earlier BIOS.

There are at least two drivers out there to enable the EMS support of the HT12 chip in DOS - one supports UMB, and the other adds EMS via the HT12 chipset.
The only online reference I can find to the UMB driver is a file listing "ht12-umb.lzh" here from a long dead mail server gateway:

http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/academic...rks/MailServers/altpi.altai.su/full_index.alt

And the HT12 EMS driver was apparently located here:

http://www.ftp.nsk.su/cgi-bin/bbs2html?pub/msdos/memory

... at one point in time.

Both sites are clearly long gone. I don't suppose anyone has either of those drivers in their collection?

I've tried the EMS driver and it works but it is the UMB driver that would be more useful to me. I couldn't find it so I'm asking if someone else has it. Datasheet for the HT12 chipset might be useful too.

If you are trying to just use the upper memory area (640-1024k) on the HT12 chipset then maybe QRAM286 would do it

Code:
QRAM286 XMS compatible extended memory
management 

High memory management for PC's with
EMS 4/EEMS memory or shadow RAM, QRAM 
enables you to run device drivers and
TSR's or load DOS resources in high
memory (640-1024K).

DOS conventional memory extension. Extends
conventional memory by 96K (from 640K to
736K) for PC's with EGA/VGA graphic
adapters, when graphics capabilities
are not needed.

Low overhead. Requires only 1.5K of
conventional memory.
System requirements:

8088, 8086, 80286 PC's. Use of high memory
is only available when PC has EMS 4 or EEMS
expanded memory or Chipt & Technologies
shadow RAM.

I found QRAM 2.02. Is it the same as QRAM286?

Unfortunately QRAM only supports chipsets by Chips & Technologies. For other chipsets it can use EMS to load high. For my system it doesn't help at all since HT12 EMS driver provides one 64k page frame and QRAM takes all that (and disables EMS from other programs). I don't have lots of drivers to load and those require less than what QRAM takes from conventional memory.

So I ended up with less conventional memory and no EMS at all. Or did I do something wrong?

Back