• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Compaq Portable III keyboard pinout

Denniske1976

Experienced Member
Hi everyone,

I've finally started cleaning and repairing my old Compaq Portable III and I have a few questions:

1. There is 640K in de machine, on the mainboard, and also another expansion with 512K. However, only 640K is counted at startup. AFAIK all is configured correctly. Is there a reason why it won't show the extra 512K? (other than the switches not correctly set). From the manual, I can't really seem to find any setting for extra expansion RAM. Only the expansion board itself has switches for configuring if there's 512K or 2MB on it.

2. Second: the keyboard cable completely desintegrated around the DIN plug and where it enters the keyboard, also the coil itself had gone stiff/hard. So not much to do with that and keystrokes would only respond one third of the time. So, I cut off a cable from another keyboard that had the right coil and soldered that in. Problem I have now is that I get "Keyboard error, press F1 to continue" at boot and the system beeps as if a key was locked down. I did get the pinouts from standard AT 5-pin DIN plug pinout schemes. And wrote down what pin was what color inside the keyboard, to reflect what I soldered on the DIN-plug. Any ideas? It shouldn't be much harder than pin1 connects to pin1 etc... also tried the pin1 connects to pin3 and pin5 to pin4 etc (so male-female setup). Is there a difference for this particular keboard maybe?? Because it only has F1 to F10 keys, maybe this is an XT keyboard? But the pinouts are equal for those right?

Thanx for all the help again!! :)

Dennis

Well, just switched pins 1-3 and 4-5 and now I have "Keyboard or system unit error". And the boot goes to DOS but no keyboard life at all.

Maybe I screwed the controller chip? I switched the pins one by one. So first 4-5 but still got "Keyboard error, press F1 to continue" but without the "stuck key beeps". And I thought that 1-3 would be wrong since pin 2 is always the middleone. And afterswitching those I got the unit error. Now I have no idea, there's only 5 pins... Can't be that hard right?

When I connect the keyboard from my 486 DX2-66, which is standard AT DIN, I also get the "Keyboard error - press F1 to continue" and it's beeping as though a key is stuck. The manual states that this computer autosenses XT or AT keyboards. So maybe the controller is defect?

I know for a fact the Portable III is standard AT in connection and protocol. I have pulled the Portable III's keyboard to use on other PCs before and done the opposite and hooked a plain AT keyboard to the III. I would say its possible since your cable disintegrated that something may have gotten shorted and fried something.

Back