• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Ibm ps/1

fruit

Hy guys,
I like the IBM PS/1 286,i have registred here to speak and to meet others who are attracted to this machine.
Currently i dont have one but i have used it years ago,this is my first pc.
Do you have pics and videos of your ps/1?

Welcome to the forums. Is your attraction based on it being your first computer mostly or are there some specifics that you found that made it a better match for you than other systems?

Hi fruit!
If you mean the IBM PS/1 model 2011 (80286 at 10 MHz) I can provide you all the pics or videos that you want. It was also my first PC and in the last months I have done several modifications to one of these machines I found in eBay.
As introductional video you can check the link below, in my signature

I like the ps/1

I like the ps/1

Hi,
I like the ps/1 because was my first pc but i like it also because is different from other systems.
Is compact and i like the design.
Unfortunately now i dont have the ps/1 that i have used for years in the 90'.
I have seen your ps/1 on youtube Nestor,is very beautiful.
Can you make a video of your ps/1 booting Freedos from a diskette?
You can use the command VER to display the freedos version,and then return to the 4 quadrant removing the diskette and pressing ctrl-alt-del.
The freedos team will be happy to your contribution,seeing your 22 years old machine running this currently developed opensource operating system.
You can found the unofficial version for 8086 and 286 of the freedos floppy image here,because the official version requires a 386 processor and a cdrom drive.
http://www.finnix.org/Balder

I tried the balder 1,44 floppy image but it doesn't boot. In shows FreeDOS and three seconds later changes to FreeDOS123. Nothing more, the system halts.

Hi Nestor,
Is very strange that freedos dont support the ps1.
Have you tried to load a different dos version on your ps1?
Some people think that this pc is able to load only the 4 quadrant,but is not true.
How you have modified your ps1? Have you formatted the hard disk?
I really like this machine but i dont have found any dedicated site on the internet.
The ps1 i have used for years was identical to your,with the same rounded wheels of regulations of volume and brighteness.

I have a IBM PS/1 with a 486SX 20MHz. It has a 1.4MB 3.5" FDD, and a 5.25" FDD. It originally came with 4 MB EDO RAM and a 120 MB IDE HDD. Also, with DOS 5.0 and Windows 3.1.

I've upgraded it to 32 MB RAM, a 500 MB IDE HDD, added a sound card, and an ethernet card; last I remember I think I had it installed with Windows 95 (too slow) or FreeBSD 4 (text mode only).

I remember it could no play even 128kbps MP3s, hahahah. Also, I remember the ethernet in the LAN was so bad that it was actually slower (doing for example some FTP to another local computer) than dial-up speeds, I think there was something bad with that ethernet card...

I should unpack it and put it to some use... and take some pictures.

I dont have found any website on the web dedicated entirely to the ibm ps/1.
I believe that what make different and unique the ps/1 is the 4 quadrant screen and his monitor with power supply inside.
This is why the ps/1 is different from others computers like a common ps/2.
A different hardware and a very good shape and look.

Last edited:
I dont have found any website on the web dedicated entirely to the ibm ps/1.
I believe that what make different and unique the ps/1 is the 4 quadrant screen and his monitor with power supply inside.
This is why the ps/1 is different from others computers like a common ps/2.
A different hardware and a very good shape and look.

There were PS/2s with a monitor & power, namely the Model 25. The PS/1 seemed like the next generation as far as that was concerned.

I like the ps1,actually i dont have one,but when i find one i want to format the hard disk and to put only the software i want.
Instead of doing a dallas clock rework to make working correctly again the system,can i format the hard disk in another manner and put my software on it? With a serial connection from another pc?
Because the dallas clock rework requires damaging the chip,i prefer do not touch the hardware,to prevent disaster :) and to have the mainboard in its original state.

If you don't change the dallas chip:
-The floppy drive will not work
-Every time you reboot the computer you will have to press F1 to bypass the configuration errors
-The system will boot only from ROM drive (using PC-DOS 4.0 and quad screen) and not from the operating system installed on the hard disk (forget the idea of using freedos)

The Dallas chip is not soldered to the motherboard, replacing it with a working one will not break the board.

How have you modified your ps/1 in the last month?
Your ps1 is the same that you have used when you was a child,or another one?

Last edited:
It is another one, I got it in eBay.
Modifications:

-Processor upgrade to a 286 16 Mhz (plcc socket and quartz oscillator also changed)
28616.jpg

-RAM Expansion, 2 MB Module
ramps1t.jpg

-OPL3 sound card
20110711163856491.jpg

Now planning how to connect a network card...

very good! and you have formatted the hard disk?
I have read about the xt-ide project on the forum,it is possible to connect an ide hard disk at the ps/1?

Last edited:
It is not possible to connect an IDE hard disk to a stock IBM PS/1 model 2011, you need the Adapter Card Unit (ACU) expansion to usa ISA cards, but I have never seen one.
If you need an IDE hard disk, you should look for a IBM PS/1 model 2121, it has a 386SX and IDE onboard, but looks like the 286 PS/1.

Last edited:
I have a IBM PS/1 type 2121 with a 386SX 16MHz. It has a 1.4MB 3.5" FDD d. It originally came with 2 MB EDO RAM and a 40 MB IDE HDD. Also, with DOS 4.0 and Windows 3.0 and Works 2.

I upgraded the processor to a cyrix 486 sx 20 mhz and added 4 mb ram

It is not possible to connect an IDE hard disk to a stock IBM PS/1 model 2011, you need the Adapter Card Unit (ACU) expansion to usa ISA cards, but I have never seen one.
If you need an IDE hard disk, you should look for a IBM PS/1 model 2121, it has a 386SX and IDE onboard, but looks like the 286 PS/1.

I have an IBM PS/1 model 2011, and bought anAdapter Card Unit (ACU)

But,we can build an adaptor to use the ps/1 without his monitor?
Using his monitor cable,and connecting to a standard power supply?

Back