• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

IBM 5160 SMartwatches

k2x4b524[

Veteran Member
Just got my Smartwatch samples, now to the project, i have 2 of them DS1216 - 111481 - 2251B is the markings, they are both brand new, my question is, even though the pin count is the same, will they work? and if they do, what drivers will i need? If i can get these working in my XTs, expecially my rom burner, it's one less card i have to worry about.

What matters is the letter suffix, according to the Maxim datasheet. i.e. the DS1216B is made to go into an SRAM socket; the DS1216E is made to go into a ROM socket. Judging from your part numbers, it looks as if you've got the "B" parts. The RAM and ROM versions may both have 28 pins, but the wiring of the RAM version depends on your socket having a valid WE/ connection. ROM sockets generally don't have these, as you can't write to a ROM.

See the datasheet for the way things are connected--they all use the same clock chip (DS1215), but connect it differently.

That being said, do the 1216B chips have a practical use in an older pc? I've got the 1216E on order, it should go through, once i have that, i should then be able to give my XT a clock without an add-in board, but don't you need a driver for these suckers to work? I'll look for one through google, but if someone here has a smartwatch driver or utility, please send a pm

Well 28-pin SRAM isn't too common in the PC world, but the Z80 crowd uses them. Maybe someone in that group would like to latch onto a nice clock chip.

sweet, thank you for the heads up on that one. Just to be sure, the 1216B WILL work in the xt? If not i'm sure one of my tandy's will be happy with it, but it'd be nice to rid my xt rom burner of the multi function time serial parallel card that's just sittin useless save the expanded ram. I've got q-ram patched into the cga card, and that box never goes graphic on me, so the extra slot will prove useful. *Edit* just found brutmans page for the driver, guess when it shows up i get to play pull a bios to see which one it sits under :rolleyes:

No, you've got it backwards.

The DS1216 B/C/D and H are made to form a sandwich with SRAM chips.
The DS1216 E and F are made to form a sandwich with ROM chips.

i did look at that, that's where i got the driver files from. But i'm a little in the dark about whether it will work in the XT or not, i think it has something to do with the bios addresses and such. Unfortunately, that one i don't know much of.

Real one, well few actually. My rom burner is a 256-640kb system board though, so that's going to be where the smartwatch is going
The DS1216E should work in the 640K version of the IBM 5160 motherboard.
Chip U19 is the ROM that you need to place the DS1216E under (U19 is mapped to F000:0).

i'd like to equip my 5150 with the other one if possible aswell.
The 5150 is a different story. The BIOS ROM, U33, is 24 pin, not 28 pin, and is mapped to FE00:0
One way to do it might be to:

1. Remove U33 chip, then
2. Plug in a adapter (such as http://store.go4retro.com/2364-adapter/) to the U33 socket, then
3. Plug the DS1216E into the adapter, then
4. Plug a 27xxx EPROM version of the U33 ROM into the DS1216E, then [Note: positioning of the 8K code is important, otherwise simply repeat it throughout the EPROM]
5. Use DS1216E software adjusted for address FE00:0

Use of one of the BASIC ROMs instead of U33 doesn't make things easier. They are the same type as U33 , and none are mapped to F000:0

Try the attached "No-Slot-Clock" utillities (clock.zip). I believe they will find the "Smartwatch" no matter which 28 pin rom socket it is in. So, it should work with the ds1216E under a BASIC rom on the 5150. I can't say for sure that it will work on the 5150, but on my 5155 motherboard (same as 5160), I can put it in U18 or U19, These utillities will find it either way. CLKINIT.COM sets the smartwatch to match system time and XTCLOCK.COM reads the time from the smartwatch and sets system time.

Regards,

Greg

Last edited:
update, the 1216e doesn't respond in socket u19 on my 64-256kb board, would u18 work? or am i going to have to lump it and just play with my 256-640kb directly. Anyway, i think it does some weird things too, before installing i could low-level formed the mfm / scsi, after, every track on the mfm reads as bad, and the scsi controller locks up when the util asks for low level, i'm using my TM-850 for the testing, i thought about trying my B and seeing what happens, but i don't want to fry anything, i DO have an off brand 640kb 8088 board i can plug it into, but any advice on this?

update, the 1216e doesn't respond in socket u19 on my 64-256kb board, would u18 work?
One of your earlier posts indicate that you are using the software at mbbrutman's web site.

From that web site:
"The software is designed for a ROM chip that starts at F000:0000 in the PC memory map."
"Unless you want to fool with patching the software, you need to pick the ROM chip that responds to memory accesses at F000:0000."

On both the 256K and 640KB versions of the 5160 motherboard:
U19 socket = addresses F000:0000 (F0000) through F000:7FFF (F7FFF) = 32KB size
U18 socket = addresses F800:0000 (F8000) through F800:7FFF (FFFFF) = 32KB size

So for the software at mbbrutman's web site, U19 is the socket to use.

The software that ibmpc posted at post #14 obviously is more flexible. He was able to use it in either U18 or U19 sockets. Did you try that software as well?

or am i going to have to lump it and just play with my 256-640kb directly.
Does that mean that you got it to work in the 640KB board?

Anyway, i think it does some weird things too, before installing i could low-level formed the mfm / scsi, after, every track on the mfm reads as bad, and the scsi controller locks up when the util asks for low level, i'm using my TM-850 for the testing,
Because of the way that the DS1216E works, that is not expected.

Further update. Most of my problem was stemming from the fact that i am running a VGA card in the XT as i don't have access to a CGA or MONO, or one of my cards with composite out. I managed to get the chip to work, and it works nicely. But one Caveat with it, i can't have my AST sixpack plus in it while formatting an MFM Hard drive, my adaptec rll controller doesn't work with it installed, and the only vga board i can use and have everything is my Headland VRAM II 1mb board, which i found out, looks for openings in the bios and plunks itself neatly in a hole, thus saving me troubles, once it's done formatting my ST-251-1 i'm going to put my six-pack plus back in and see if everything works properly.

...So for the software at mbbrutman's web site, U19 is the socket to use.

That's strange. I was only able to get the software from Brutman's site to work when the DS1216E was in U18. It did not respond when it was in U19(unless using the "No-Slot-Clock" software in my previous post). Is it possible you've got the facts reversed?

Last edited:
Back