• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

AST Six Pack issue

k2x4b524[

Veteran Member
Greetings again, after resolving my clock issue, i now have another one. Drivers for the EMM on the AST Six Pack premium. I have googled them and not found much, does anyone in the forums have such files? Also, is there a way to get the 4 floppy controller to exist with ANY vga card? Both of mine seem to want to occupy the hole that ANY of my vga cards want, including my Headland.

Last edited:
I do have the SixPackPlus disk that does have the EMM driver, however is your six pack plus above and beyond the 640k?
Speaking of your clock issue, what issue did you have? The issue I am having is that the ASTCLOCK software spits back out a backwards date like 99/17/23 and 99:99:99 for a time.

my six pack premium has 256kb that is above the 640k line, the rest is serving as conventional on a 64kb-256kb system board, hence the need for the EMS drivers, i would like to use those, and q-ram on this board. As for the clock drivers, don't use the clock on the six packs, my premium's clock refuses to go above Y2K, get a Dallas 1216E Smartwatch and plunk that guy under your F000 Bios, you'll get better results, and the utilities aren't TSRs. Could you email me a copy of your SixPack Plus drivers?

Give me a day or so to convert it to modern format for transport As for the Dallas 1216E, is it a chip that actually sockets between the motherboard and the BIOS ROM?

I have one smartwatch installed under the BIOS EPROM on a Flytek motherboard (STJUKO TURBO Motherboard)

Please also look on my thread:
http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/showthread.php?29091-Rtc-module-on-serial-com3-port

More detailed info:
http://www.brutman.com/PCjr/DS1216E.html

1.you need to pick the ROM chip that responds to memory accesses at F000:000 (mostly the bios rom, not always!)

2. Download the software: http://www.brutman.com/PCjr/downloads/ds1216e.zip

3. Run program TEST-CLOCK.EXE to verify if the clock is working and programmable..

4. Run CLOCK.EXE EVERY TIME you boots / reboots the system.. Better is to set a line in autoexec.bat..

5. With CLOCK.EXE you also can set the date and time and day...

The clock is only working when loading CLOCK.EXE on boot..
How to set it, just read the included manual / documents..

The good of this dallas solution..

Its working fine, and Y2K is supported up to 2099 or so..
No ISA card with clock needed (mostly they are dead, or doesnt support Y2K..)

Only a little bad is.. Older system diagnostics doesnt detecting this dallas..
The other good is, its just ****ing working under compaq DOS 3.31 !!

I think you wont find a better solution than this..

Last edited:
EDITED POST

I was messing around with the ASTClock.com program today and although it reports the Year incorrectly, MsDos 6.22 ends up getting it right.

You can see where the astclock.com program sets the year to 99 at the MOV,AL 63 instruction near location memory offset 0237 (debug).

The version on the astclock program I debugged was 1.10
The MSDos version I have loaded is 6.22

If someone really wanted to patch the astclock.com program to display the date correctly this might be a good place to start looking.

Enjoy.

Matt

Last edited:
So I have my DS1216E, lovely little gem, but I find that the socket it comes in is a 28 pin socket and not the 24 pin socket that the ROM chip sits in. I'm assuming that the BIOS is the ROM that sits in U33 on a 5150.

Yeah you need an adaptor to use 'normal' ROM's (27xxx) in a 5150/60 - so not suprised it doesn't fit :/
Hopefully someone has a grand idea to assist, I didn't even think of that issue until you mentioned the pin difference.

Yep, that's the correct adaptor.

Just a case of getting it mounted/secured on top of the U33 or copying the ROM to a 27 series - unless the DS1216E can operate off the spare ROM holder?

I'll get it mounted in U33, of course my problem is where U33 is on the motherboard, it is a tight fit up against the floppy disk drive. Now since the U33 ROM chip is smaller than the Dallas, will I need another adapter for that or can I mount it as is, 24 pin ROM in a 28 pin socket?

I haven't checked the pinout, but I'd expect you can't install the original ROM in the adaptor. I'd expect you'd need to mount the adaptor on TOP of the existing ROM (if thats even possible), and install the DALLAS in the adaptor. Or, make a 27Cxxx ROM to replace the original, and install that and the DALLAS in the adaptor.

Someone else would/will need to confirm that.

I had it a bit easier, my XT has a unit which goes under the CPU.

Crap, well anyone else out there watching, can you confirm is it a futile mission? 24 pin to 28 pin adapter to plug in my Dallas No-Slot-Clock, and then plug my 24 pin ROM into the 28 pin socket on the clock?

Back