• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Visual 1083 Commuter need manual and more

monoxrom

Experienced Member
Hello!
I have some questions about Visual 1083 Commuter
http://www.old-computers.com/museum/computer.asp?c=1193&st=1

In Picture1 i marked blinking led and some very warm resistor and i dont know this should be, or not?

Maybe someone here have a manual of this computer? Because i want to know
pinuots of composite video output (which is present here)
I need test this computer on external TV, because my "matrix" shows something strange, you can see this on picture 2 and 3, screen is dead?

Attachments

• p2.jpg
    p2.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 1
  • p3.jpg
    p3.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 1
  • p1.jpg
    p1.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 1
Do you own a IBM-compatible monochrome monitor? That's probably easier to use--and it's what I used with the system back in the day. The LCD text was horrible.

I may even have some BIOS code for the Commuter (long story there). DAK sold a lot of these as surplus items. After having worked with one, I'd never purchase one.

Back to your problem, though. Sniff around carefully and try to identify the component that made the smoke. Check the power supply voltages also. I can't identify the component you've circled--a closeup with a description of any markings might be more helpful.

Do you own a IBM-compatible monochrome monitor? That's probably easier to use--and it's what I used with the system back in the day. The LCD text was horrible.

I have one of those machines. The internal display has got to be one of the worst I've ever seen.
Like Chuck(G) said, best to hook up an external monitor.

With hot resistor I was guessed.. This is all from 220 volts, notebook can work from 110 and 220. But when connected 220 volts input resistor is very warm.

And with video is something strange..
Video port at back panel signed as "RGB monochrome" what is this? RGB means not monochrome :) however i was connect some monitor who work fine with hercules video card
And here monitor show somes artefacts :( In other signs computer work good
I made a video... Video artefacts in 1:20
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wa9JFsI4Zc
What can this mean, videomemory fail? Later I'll try another monitor, but this monitor working 150%

The 1083, as best as I can recall, can work with both CGA and mono monitors (switch setting, perhaps? It's been a long time!). Yours appears to be set for a CGA monitor's frequencies. Give it a try--it can't hurt.

thank you Chuck(G)
Yes i found 8 jumpers below disk drives.. Jumpers 5 and 6 is video. Turn off and my display starting.. Computer working fine.
Now i know exactly i have problem with matrix :(

Revisiting 9 years later but I just got one of these machines - any chance you could repost the original system disk image again please ?

Thanks

Oh, and while I'm asking - does anyone have the pinout for the 5 pin DIN connector for the composite video output connector please ?

Thanks

Back