Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules and Etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Rule 1: Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Rule 2: Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Rule 3: Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

Rule 4: "PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Rule 5: Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

Fixable IBM 5155?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fixable IBM 5155?

I bought a broken IBM 5155 a while ago, and cosmetically it's fine, but it doesn't do anything when I turn it on. I've taken some of the boards out and one of the batteries has leaked, and a few capacitors exploded. I have a very limited understanding of these old computers, but I would really like to get it working. Do you think there would be any chance of that happening? would replacing the broken boards fix it, or could it be the power supply?

Start with the PSU and work out from there. PC/XT (5160) motherboards come up on here fairly frequently.

Comment

Please learn to solder and repair electronics. Please don't be one of those who operate on the basis of "if it doesn't work right away, it's garbage". Capacitors age and can be replaced. Power supplies use capacitors and if anything, are more prone to that type of failure.

The bottom line is that you can probably resurrect it with a little determination--unless it's been through extreme conditions, of course.
      Reach me: vcfblackhole _at_ protonmail dot com.

Comment

If you take photos of the problems I'll help you all I can. I'm about 30 miles from Bristol.
        https://www.micromuseum.co.uk/

Comment

The quick and simple answer is yes it can likely be fixed. Just a little practice work and determination and you can replace those bulging capacitors and likely fix the problem for minimal cost. Chris's help will probably be a good experience too.
          Looking to acquire: IBM 5100, Altair 8800

Comment

Sure, I'll take some pictures and put them up tomorow. From what I remember, one of the boards was fine, one had exploded capacitors and one a corroded battery. From what I could see the rest seemed fine, but I didn't delve any deeper than that... I think I need a screwdriver with a different bit to get to the rest.

Comment

from the sounds of it you may be dealing with an expansion board that went south. An old RTC board perhaps? Try taking out all the board BUT the graphics card and start from there, pics will help greatly though
              Nothing beats the roar of a 36yr old drive coming to life after a decade in storagg

Comment

I started to take it apart again, but I only got as far as the cards and one floppy drive (it's got two, but one is different). I'll get the motherboard out over the weekend, but I could see the 8088 in the back

So here are the pictures (sorry some of them are a bit blurry):

P5032180.jpg

The Computer itself, with two floppy drives

P5032183.jpg

Here's how the boards are laid out. The thin cable coming in from the left goes to the far left board (board 1), the two coloured ribbon cables are coming from the middle board (board 2), going out the back of the computer. One of the thick ribbon cables is coming from the smaller board on the right (board 3), and goes to the floppy drives. The 8088 is in the top left behind the cables (there is an empty slot for a similar size IC beside it, I don't know if there's something supposed to be there.

Board 1

P5032196a.jpg

Here's a close up:
                P5032197.jpg

The exploded capacitor is the only fault on that board, and so far (I haven't taken it apart fully yet) the only exploded capacitor.

I can only attach 5 files a post, so I'll do another one in a minute. Sorry for the long posts :P
                Attached Files

Comment

That capacitor is a tantalum--they detonate on old gear with remarkable regularity. But that isn't going to keep your system from booting, so keep digging.

If I'm trying to work on a system, I'll take it apart and reassemble the boards, peripherals and power supply on a tabletop, so I can see what's going on.
                  Reach me: vcfblackhole _at_ protonmail dot com.

Comment

Originally posted by CannedBread View Post
                    but it doesn't do anything when I turn it on.
                    This could indicate that the fuse in the power supply has blown, because of a short circuit that could have been created by one of the exploded or damaged capactitors.

Comment

While I haven't used a 5155 PSU, the power supplies normally have an auto-cutoff if their outputs are shorted. You can tell if this is the case because when you turn them on you see the fan nudge a little but not spin. To keep it alive, my 5160 board has had to have ~4 capacitors removed now.

Just to clarify, is the system turning on but not displaying anything, or does literally nothing happen when the power switch is flicked?

p.s. http://www.minuszerodegrees.net/5150...iag_config.htm (test at bottom is extremely useful, still applicable to a 5155, would recommend you follow it through)
                      Last edited by SpidersWeb; May 3, 2012, 12:48 PM.
                      Twitter / YouTube

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck(G) View Post
                        Please learn to solder and repair electronics. Please don't be one of those who operate on the basis of "if it doesn't work right away, it's garbage". Capacitors age and can be replaced. Power supplies use capacitors and if anything, are more prone to that type of failure.

The bottom line is that you can probably resurrect it with a little determination--unless it's been through extreme conditions, of course.
                        I really missed the "Like it" from facebook

Get the PSU disconnected from everything, and turn on the PSU, take a look if the FAN spins, if not, then it's time to disassemble it, and try to fix. If it spins, then it's time to begin to repair that dead components.

Comment

I can't remember weither or not the 5155 has a fan
                          If it doesn't then you can use a sacrificial hard drive (make sure it's a hard drive you don't like, just in case).
                          If it does, then ignore this post :P
                          Twitter / YouTube

Comment

Originally posted by SpidersWeb View Post
                            I can't remember weither or not the 5155 has a fan
                            If it doesn't then you can use a sacrificial hard drive (make sure it's a hard drive you don't like, just in case).
                            If it does, then ignore this post :P

Whops, I didn't think about this... One time I grabbed a 5155 Clone around here, and there was a fan on him... my bad.

Comment

yeah I'd forgotten to check that as well lol
                              it might do, I just can't remember.
                              Twitter / YouTube

Comment

Working...
                              X