• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Ideas for how to make IDE drive write-able

billdeg

Technician
I have a Cordata PPC (8086 portable)...It has a Seagate ST-238 20MB hard drive. I can't format the drive or write to the drive in any way. Not sure of the reason, looking for a manual or a guess as to how to break through this write protection. I came upon a similar problem once when I had a Tandy SX-100 from a Hallmark store that was write protected (it was a public computer in the store for making greeting cards). There is a bank of switches inside the chassis 1-2-3 ON, 4-5-6 OFF.

If I find the answer I will post an update.

bd

Last edited:
What's the controller? Does it have a custom ROM?

The way we'd do it in the old days is to put a bit of tape over pin 6 on the 34-conductor edge connector. It then became impossible to write to the drive.

But can you read from it? Does it have a good partition on it? Without a partition neither Norton nor Spinrite can access it. When you said you can't format it above, did you mean LLF? If not, you should try to LLF it.

hello
if I remeber correct the speedstor (by "storage dimensions") had a function were you could mark the entire disc as a read-only..
/cimonvg

Below is a photo I took in 2009 (pointing out pin 1 orientation on an ST-225 to someone).
Understandably, I am in the "check the cable first" camp.

st225_cables.jpg

Last edited:
Back