• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Add 5.25 floppy to IBM ps/1

Gawie

Years ago I archived a whole bunch of files to 5.25" floppies with PC Backup, using something called "Fast DMA access" (or whatever). I've tried to restore these (yes, I've still got the software) but it doesn't do any restoring: it immediately comes up with a message: DONE!

Add 5.25 floppy to IBM ps/1

Do standard floppy drives work in the PS/1, or special drives required?

What I'm trying to achieve:

Years ago I archived a whole bunch of files to 5.25" floppies with PC Backup, using something called "Fast DMA access" (or whatever). I've tried to restore these on current PCs (yes, I've still got the software) but it doesn't do any restoring: it immediately comes up with a message: DONE!

I've since been told that the type of access required works only on 386 and earlier machines. Well, I've actually got a 286 -- the above PS/1 (OK, it's my father's) but it's got a 3.5" floppy and my disks are 5.25".

I've got a standard 5.25" HD floppy drive, and there's an additional socket on the motherboard for a floppy cable, but I can't the drive to work in the PS/1, whether plugged into this socket or in the place of the 3.5" drive. (Yes, the 5.25" drive has got power -- from another power supply.)

Am I on a hopeless mission, or is there a way to do this?

Last edited:
Back