Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules and Etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Rule 1: Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Rule 2: Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Rule 3: Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

Rule 4: "PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Rule 5: Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

Ever seen a 80186 accelerator board? I have now. (and so can you)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ever seen a 80186 accelerator board? I have now. (and so can you)

After posting on another forum about my haul of IBM type 25's, another member mentions his storage locker finds. Most of which aren't very relevant here but there was on thing that caught my eye. He had, what he claimed was a 8 bit isa 286 accelerator board. After posting some pictures, it was revealed it was actually a 186. Long story short, I bought him a 6-pack and paid for shipping from Australia and it arrived! ($40 total)

I must say, i am quite beside myself. Personally, the MOST valuable parts have to be the manual and disk with the software. Its funny. Just a month ago, I had ZERO intention of putting together a 8086 system (my 386 does fine). Now I have 5 of them, and I'm starting to collect parts to pimp one out. If the manual can be believed, the 186 does NOT turn off the main cpu. it just does work and leaves the I/O to the original processor. Also, it tells me that the 186 has its own ram, and the ram on the motherboard can mostly be made into a ramdisk, or as a print spool, disk cache or what have you. According to the jumpers, the card has 640kb installed. This board is CLEAN. Like it was only used once clean.

That said, is there some sort of database for this sort of stuff? I'd be more than happy to grab a thrift store scanner, and copy the manual if it hasn't already been done. Naturally a dump of the bios and a floppy image. One of these days here soon, i'm going to have to test it out. I have like 5 pans in the fire at the moment that I've been putting off. (who here doesn't? )
    It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Originally posted by luckybob View Post
    That said, is there some sort of database for this sort of stuff? I'd be more than happy to grab a thrift store scanner, and copy the manual if it hasn't already been done. Naturally a dump of the bios and a floppy image.
    That would be good. I will add them to the PC family related manuals/drivers at http://www.minuszerodegrees.net/manuals.htm, and the BIOS to http://www.minuszerodegrees.net/rom/rom.htm

Comment

luckybob indeed!

I've never seen that particular model. Of course we have all heard of the Orchid Pro Turbo 286 and its progeny.... There was I believe a version even that was SW switchable (between 286 and 808. I wonder if this card works somewhat similarly. Of course as you said the most valuable part of this find is the manual and the SW. You should image the disks ASAP and archive it somewhere...

I have a feeling mikey99 will be interested in that disk!

Some info.
      Last edited by Shadow Lord; November 14, 2012, 10:33 PM.
      Current Wish List: 1. IBM 7531 Industrial Series PC 2. NEC MultiSync XL (JC-2001) Monitor 3. MicroSolutions UniDOS card 4. Compaq 14" VGA CRT Monitor (the one that came with the SystemPro). 5. Stacker HW CoProcessor Board MCA BUS. If you have any of the above for sale please PM me. Thank you!

Comment

Yes, I have heard about it, but never actually seen one. I have the equalent 286 version which works in much the same way. It even seems to be using the exact swame gate array, so the manual may even be very helpfull for me.

These cards doesn't replace the CPU in the host computer, but it rather uses the host as a "southbridge"-style I/O manager. The turbo card is more or less it's own computer, allthough it uses some basic resources from the host. It works surprisingly well for most programs, but programs that use a lot of low-level code may have issues running on it. My 286 version can even run a program on the 286 on the card while simoultaneously running a program on the host, but then things may easily get out of hand.
        Current systems owned by me:
        Vintage:IBM PC/XT submodel 087 ( 1983 ), [Kon]tiki-100 rev. C (1983), Compaq Portable I ( 1984 ), IBM PC/XT submodel 078 ( 1985 ), IBM PC/XT286 ( ~1986 ), 3x Nintendo Entertainement Systems ( 1987 ).
        Obsolete:Commodore A500 ( ~1990 ), IBM PS/2 model 70/386 type 8570-161 ( 1991 ), Atari Lynx II ( ~1992 ), Generic Intel 486SX PC ( ~1993 ), AT/T Globalyst Pentium w/FDIV bug MB ( 1994 ), Compaq 486DX4 laptop ( ~1995 ).

Comment

Very cool find, Bob!

This conversation answers an unspoken question I had: why the Orchid Tiny Turbo 286 (usually) sells for such a high price. I didn't realize that it kept the host processor "alive" for i/o - very nice!

I need to delve more carefully into my Sota 286i and 386i. I know that these can both be used in 8088 and 8086 systems, but not whether it leaves the host alive, etc. For that matter, I don't even know that I can get my 286i working (no driver disk or manual, though I have both for the 386i)
          ---
          Currently seeking:
          * Roland MPU-401/AT (with daughter card header)
          * Magitronic K-156 Keyboard (5pin DIN w/ XT-AT switch)
          I also collect PC and C64 Sierra On-Line software!

Comment

Originally posted by Maverick1978 View Post
            Very cool find, Bob!

This conversation answers an unspoken question I had: why the Orchid Tiny Turbo 286 (usually) sells for such a high price. I didn't realize that it kept the host processor "alive" for i/o - very nice!

I need to delve more carefully into my Sota 286i and 386i. I know that these can both be used in 8088 and 8086 systems, but not whether it leaves the host alive, etc. For that matter, I don't even know that I can get my 286i working (no driver disk or manual, though I have both for the 386i)
            It seems like I've seen one of these boards. In the early very late '80's-early '90's as a teenager I worked for a local store that had all sorts of interesting unusual computer hardware (we being system builders/integrators, also carried Atari ST machines as an authorized Atari reseller), so we had all manner of strange and exotic stuff. Some of this obviously past its prime by the time I started working there.

Comment

Very cool find, Bob!

It's not the tinyTurbo I was reffering to. The card I was talking about was the Orchid PCTurbo 256e, which they made as a high-end alternative to the TinyTurbo 286. The PCTurbo 286e was problably the reason why the TinyTurbo 286 was called TinyTurbo after all.

The Orchid PCTurbo 256e is a full-length ISA card with extra chips to make it (mostly) fully AT-compatible, and it has otherwise much similar functionality to the card shown here (except that the BIOS is located in RAM on the accelerator and transmitted over when the card is booted by the device driver).
              Current systems owned by me:
              Vintage:IBM PC/XT submodel 087 ( 1983 ), [Kon]tiki-100 rev. C (1983), Compaq Portable I ( 1984 ), IBM PC/XT submodel 078 ( 1985 ), IBM PC/XT286 ( ~1986 ), 3x Nintendo Entertainement Systems ( 1987 ).
              Obsolete:Commodore A500 ( ~1990 ), IBM PS/2 model 70/386 type 8570-161 ( 1991 ), Atari Lynx II ( ~1992 ), Generic Intel 486SX PC ( ~1993 ), AT/T Globalyst Pentium w/FDIV bug MB ( 1994 ), Compaq 486DX4 laptop ( ~1995 ).

Comment

I scored one of these Orchid boards too, from the same seller

I have a 5150 that I was planning to stick it in although I haven't done anything with it yet.

Comment

I have two of the Orchid 186 cards..... but haven't got either one to work.
                  I've tried two versions of the software, 2.1 and 2.3 on a 5150 and 5160.
                  The software runs but doesn't appear to recognize the card. I'm wondering if
                  the software version needs to match the ROM version (1.1) on the card.

Including a couple of pictures of one below. Need to do some digging to find the other one.
                  I think the other one has the memory extender board.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by mikey99; November 17, 2012, 07:52 AM.

Comment

OT, but responding in-thread for future reference... I've now got the Sota 286si and 386si manuals and drivers at my site.
                    ---
                    Currently seeking:
                    * Roland MPU-401/AT (with daughter card header)
                    * Magitronic K-156 Keyboard (5pin DIN w/ XT-AT switch)
                    I also collect PC and C64 Sierra On-Line software!

Comment

I found the second card ....the components/layout is totally different than the other one.
                      This card is the same as the one luckybob has........
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by mikey99; November 18, 2012, 05:46 PM.

Comment

I came across one of these a while back also. Same exact board as the first one Mikey99 located. (Rev. A - ROM ver. 1.1) I'm in the same situation as others, no software, so I have no idea if it works. Attached is a pic of it's memory expansion board for comparison.
                        Attached Files
                        "A printer consists of three main parts: the case, the jammed paper tray and the blinking red light."

Comment

Finally got a round to fooling around with the card a bit. It actually fits into a IBM model 25! But you lose both isa slots. unless your 2nd card is REALLY short. My sound card isnt so I'm probably going to sell this. That said, I did make an image of the floppy disk it came with, (360kb 5.25) And I'll fiddle with the card a bit more this weekend. (HAHAHAHA)
                          Attached Files

Comment

Inexpensive Taiwanese motherboards probably killed off the PC/XT accelerator market. There were 286 and 386 boards to replace the board in your 5160--and there were a very few 5-slot replacements for the 5150. They were far less expensive than the accelerator boards and worked with fewer compatibility problems. Windows probably killed off whatever remained because of its more stringent compatibility issues.
                            Reach me: vcfblackhole _at_ protonmail dot com.

Comment

from the manual:
                              the REV a and REv b pc turbos each have their own software and eeprom versions, all rev a boards will have eprom versions 1.X and software version 1.x. the rev b boards will have eprom version 2.x and software version 2.x"
                              So if you have a REV A board you have to stick with rev 1 eproms and version 1 of the software.

Comment

Working...
                              X