• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Wyse Technology 286 Model 2112-40

RetroJunkie

Experienced Member
Spent the best part of an evening getting my Wyse 286 2112 up and running. Took video as I went to explain how I worked it all out.
While I am typically a friend to the 386 / 486 machines, I thought I'd give this 286 a try.
Sure enough, got it working well enough to run my newest favourite game - Paku Paku!

With a 40MB hard drive (formatted as 30MB) it roars to life!
Seems to be a close relative of the Amtek 286A.
Same keyboard, front bezel (minus LCD), power button location, side screws.
Now I am not too familiar with either of these companies - were they just clones of the day?
I am also curious to know if the Amdek had the RAM and CPU integrated on an ISA card like the Wyse does.

I'll be sure to get the video uploaded and post here once it is up for all to see - it's going to be a long one by the looks! :D

Some photos of the Wyse 2112 can be found here.

Edit: Here's the video as promised...

Last edited:
Wyse manufactured crt terminals before branching into making pc clones.

Thanks for posting the video, I have one of these machines that hasn't worked since I took it out of service in the late 80's.

Thanks for the replies, good to see that those Amdeks were pretty much the same thing or visa versa. Thanks for tracking that down!
I've just finished uploading the repair part where I realise I have two conflicting hard drive / floppy drive controllers installed... Learning sure is fun!
Or rather, forgetting that your Oak video card has the bonus of being an IDE controller as well as a video card :cool:

No idea where this machine will end up. What was wrong with your one Doug? Anything terminal? Uh oh, was that a pun? :D

Excellent! Thanks for that! I've put the card into an antistatic bag and jammed it in where the A drive should be.
I've dumped the BIOS as well if anyone is interested and needs it.
Not sure what you'd need such an old BIOS for but I'll stick it on my website in the near future.

What was wrong with your one Doug? Anything terminal? Uh oh, was that a pun?
I don't know if I still have the keyboard, and I don't believe it used a standard PC keyboard. Other than that, it's been 25 years since I turned it off and stuck it out in the garage, I think it was working then. The machine is in my "when I get around to it" pile right now.

Ohhhh I know what you mean... I have a few of those piles starting to build up around my house... I have a feeling they are only going to get larger before I get a chance to even work out what is in the piles! That said, I'll probably offload some two portable 8086 machines to focus my collection on machines I remember. The Wyse has gone to someone who will actually have a use for it and who has some 5.25" floppy drives to replace the one that is missing from the front.

But yes it does use some form of RJ socket coming out of the CPU ISA card, the keys are very springy, not like Model M springy, more like instant lift springy.

I have a spare RJ12 keyboard but it is not a Wyse one and I doubt it would work. It is a HP keyboard that was originally designed for the HP Touchscreen 150, i think. Nice feel on the keys. Fuljitsu leaf spring. Similar to my MBC-550 keyboard albiet not click at the bottoming out of the key.

Actually the Macintosh Plus uses one of those connectors on the keyboard didn't it?
But you are likely right, there's probably nothing in common short of the physical connector.
Connecting it will probably result in a small house fire - Not something any of us needs :D

Back