• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Wolfenstein 3D on an IBM PS/2?

Denniske1976

Experienced Member
Howdy y'all ;-)

I have a little question that I'm struggling with for quite some time now... at first I thought "Ah what the h*ll" but I can't keep wondering about it in the back of my head and it's keeping me from getting any work done and disrupting my social life etc. :p So, here it is:

I have some PS/2 systems, and also included are two Model 30 286 systems and two Model 70 386 systems. Let's start with the one I use most now (since I have an Adlib card in it), the PS/2 Model 30 286. It's an 8530-H21 to be precise, so 286 10MHz, 1024KB memory, one 1.44M floppy drive and one of those weird card edge WDL-325Q harddisks sized 20MB (funny, it almost makes the same noise as the MiniScribe in my HeadStart, really nice) :) Oh yeah, and I also put in an Intel 80287XL co-processor, just because I had it around. Installed it with PC-DOS 5.02, and for example Commander Keen 4, 5 and 6 run like a charm with Adlib sound (also really nice, never had an Adlib before but somehow I like it... very retro).

Now for the culprit: I've read online that Wolfenstein 3D should "more or less" also run on a 80286 class CPU and 640K memory... right? SO I thought "Let try that one, would be pretty cool". So I got my copy of the complete 6-episode Wolf3D package, unzipped it and try to ran it (it's not corrupted because I've used for years on my 486 and in DOSbox). But -> When I run WOLF3D.EXE the screen goes blank and I get a blinking cursor... and that's it. It just sits there doing that (or maybe doing nothing, for that matter). I have about 634K of base memory free, nothing weird is loaded (the Adlib doesn't need anything SET in AUTOEXEC.BAT AFAIK, and it's being used in Commander Keen). I don't even have a mouse driver loaded and the only things installed are COmmander Keen 4/5/6 and WP 5.1+ (not that it matters). There's about 11M of free space left on that funny little 20M harddisk too.

So, onwards... I thought let's be smart, my Model 70 would run this sure 'nuff right? Wrong :-( My Model 70 is the 8570-E61, so 16MHz 386, no co-processor installed (although I have one that I'll put in later), 2MB of memory, one 1.44M floppy drive and of course a 60M harddisk. So I was really convinced Wolfenstein 3D would run on this machine, although be it without any sound (man, My Kingdom for a MicroChannel Sound Blaster!). But I get exactly the same... I run WOLF3D.EXE and I get a blank screen with a blinking cursor. The MOdel 70 is also installed with PC-DOS 5.02 and has HIMEM loaded (so does the Model 30 btw), so about 634K free base memory and some more in the upper regions. Nothing else is even loaded onto this machine, just DOS 5.02 and Wolfenstein 3D.

So, anyone know why my PS/2 machines won't run Wolfenstein 3D? Not that I'm really worried/depressed/suicidal about it, but I was just thinking it would be nice to have Wolfenstein on my old computers. Surely the Model 70 should be able to run it right? And I was actually under the impression the Model 30 would also run it, maybe with a smaller viewsize or just reeeeaaaallllyyyyyy slow :-D

Anyhoo, thanx for reading and helping out... have a good one! :)

Dennis

Yes, it should run in those machines.
Grab the shareware version and try it, maybe your full version has some kind of incompatibility (or virus, who knows...)

Doesn't the PS/2 model 30 have MCGA video? And Wolf needs VGA?

Yes, the original Model 30, which uses an 8086, has MCGA. But he said he was using a Model 30/286, which has VGA. So does the Model 70. Its likely to run a tad slow in the Model 30/286.

Try your old copy in DOSBox to make sure its working.

Well, I've just finished the game in DOSbox a few weeks ago... so I know this one is good. I also have the Mortal Kombat edition and Spear of Destiny and both give the same result. Weird eh?

I'll have a go with that ShareWare copy Nestor linked, see what that does. Still, I'm puzzled :confused:

Did you config it before trying to use it? :)

Oooohhhh, good one... I might just have a look at that, I don't have a setup BTW. I think Wolf3D doesn't have that, but maybe deleting the config file could do the trick (that one probably comes from my 486 DX2-66 with the Gravis Ultrasound MAX.... aaaahhhh, what a machine... wish I had that one back... h*ll I wish it was 1993 again!!) :blush:

IIRC Some builds of Wolf3D may have used 386 instructions or something since I remember that only older? versions would run on my 286.
Though that doesn't explain the Model 70.

Oooohhhh, good one... I might just have a look at that, I don't have a setup BTW. I think Wolf3D doesn't have that, but maybe deleting the config file could do the trick (that one probably comes from my 486 DX2-66 with the Gravis Ultrasound MAX.... aaaahhhh, what a machine... wish I had that one back... h*ll I wish it was 1993 again!!) :blush:

Perhaps when you had it in the 486, you had configured it for Sound Blaster, and in your PS/2s, which do not have a Sound Blaster inside, the old configuration causes the game to crash. If I remember correctly, Wolf3D did work with the GUS's Mega Em when I tried it in my 486.

First hand I can say it WILL work on a 30/286. For me I simply fed it the shareware discs,installed and ran.
Seconded. I ran Wolf3D for years on a few Model 30-286's at my high school in directories with the hidden archive bit flagged, since only one of the teachers ever knew how to look for hidden files and folders. Played it during class all the time (I was at the end of the room with nothing but a wall behind me, and no nearby students).

ISTR having to downsize the playfield a little bit (like 2 steps from maxed) to have a fully enjoyable experience, but it played quite nicely.

As an aside... playing Wolf3D with absolutely no sound was a bit of a trick... :)

OP, if it still doesn't work after you've ensured it's configured properly, try running "wolf3d -nowait" from the command prompt, see if it boots you right to the game menu. If not, then I would suggest pulling your Adlib and any other expansion cards, then booting off of a boot disk that only loads himem (ISTR that Wolf3D will use DOS4GW extender to auto-config EMS/XMS memory without EMM386 being loaded - though I might be mistaken about that!)

Let us know what happens!

Yep, downloaded the shareware version and it ran... I also found another Spear of Destiny ZIPfile in my archives and tried that one, that one also ran... be it uberslow :oops:

Thanx for all the help guys, I just found out that I won't be playing Wolfenstein 3D on my PS/2 Model 30 286 ;-)

Yep, downloaded the shareware version and it ran... I also found another Spear of Destiny ZIPfile in my archives and tried that one, that one also ran... be it uberslow :oops:

Thanx for all the help guys, I just found out that I won't be playing Wolfenstein 3D on my PS/2 Model 30 286 ;-)
Maybe the full version that you have is corrupt.

Man, lower the screen about 2-3 times down from max, and it speeds up dramatically! Trust me!! :)

(though obviously it still won't be like running on a 486 or in DOSBox, mind you)

Seconded. I ran Wolf3D for years on a few Model 30-286's at my high school in directories with the hidden archive bit flagged, since only one of the teachers ever knew how to look for hidden files and folders. Played it during class all the time (I was at the end of the room with nothing but a wall behind me, and no nearby students).

ISTR having to downsize the playfield a little bit (like 2 steps from maxed) to have a fully enjoyable experience, but it played quite nicely.

As an aside... playing Wolf3D with absolutely no sound was a bit of a trick... :)

OP, if it still doesn't work after you've ensured it's configured properly, try running "wolf3d -nowait" from the command prompt, see if it boots you right to the game menu. If not, then I would suggest pulling your Adlib and any other expansion cards, then booting off of a boot disk that only loads himem (ISTR that Wolf3D will use DOS4GW extender to auto-config EMS/XMS memory without EMM386 being loaded - though I might be mistaken about that!)

Let us know what happens!

Nice story. Signs of an ill spent youth (lol). I'll bet there was a pool hall on your way home from school?

Just played wolf3d on my ps/2 model 25sx 386 the other day, full version, with ess1869 isa sound card and it played great and not one bit slow. im wondering if the fact that he doesnt have a SET BLASTER= command in his startup files to be the problem, as maybe his wolf3d is getting confused as the default for the adlib card he has.

I played it nonstop on my Compaq 286, and yes you'll need to reduce the playfield by 1 or 2 steps.

Looking back, I had like a 12" monitor too so that made the playable screen roughly the size of my Galaxy S3. :eek:

Back