• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

IBM 5150 16 - 64 K sold on eBay

Jimmy

Veteran Member
I bid on this computer on eBay, I was the only bidder. It is an IBM 5150 16 – 64K Rev A. Not the very first model, but the one with the recessed bolts on the top of the black power supply. The PC was described as “This item does not power on and is not tested. Sold as is for parts or repair” I had previously purchased the same type PC but the case cover was missing, it also has a post error about the cassette relay. I was looking for a repair project and this one was in my price range.

I was pleasantly surprised when I connected a power cord and hit the on switch that I could hear the power supply fan. The unit came with 2 full height floppies an IBM CGA card and a memory expansion card. I replaced the CGA card with a clone monochrome card hooked an old monitor up, cleaned the disk drives, placed a Dos 3.3 disk in the A drive and it booted. I have tested both drives and both work. Other than cleaning it up, there is really nothing to repair.

I tested the PC with both PC Dos 2.0 and UCSD p-system.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321029981943?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

IMG_1457.jpgIMG_1461.jpgIMG_1463.jpg

The CGA card is fine, I tested it after I posted. I was kind of looking forward to working in it, I was sure it had problems with the power supply. I you are right, the seller just do not bother to try and power it on or test it.

I saw this one, but there was only like half a day left - I figured I'd wait to post here until after it didn't sell (which it did, and I'm glad to see you got it!)

This sounds like a simlar situation to my 5160 XT purchase: it was sold as non-working for parts because when the seller hooked up the 5153 monitor (which came with it), it didn't work! The thing was, it also had a Hercules mono card in there, and it was set as the primary. The seller needed to run the mode command to activate the second monitor, and wah-lah! It worked! 38mb hard drive, 360kb floppy drive, 5153, Model M keyboard, and all :)

Congrats on the find!

Very good buy Jimmy. You got very lucky. I've had anything but luck with my 5150. Quadboard falied, PSU failed, and a few other troubles along the way. At least I
ve got the Quadboard to a fairly good point. Although it still displays errors.

Back