• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

IBM 5150 and 5170, just picked them up

Nivirx

Just picked up a 5150 and a 5170 the 5150 boots and is loaded with MS-DOS 5.00 with some type of 20mb HD and 2x 5 1/4 floppy drives
the problem is the 5170 has a WD Hard drive controller of some sort but all the connectors are disconnected, does anyone have a diagram/manual for this card
the serial on the card is 61-000107-00 rev +14 thats all I know about it. if needed I can put some pictures up.

Post pictures of the insides, as it may help us identify things if needed. Are the hard drive and floppy drive cables still in there? Here is how the hard drive cables are to connect to the HDD controller.
5170_hard_drive_cabling_single.jpg

(Thanks to Modem7)

Nivrix: The part number for that controller is probably WESTERN DIGITAL WD1003-WA2. Check the cabling on your 5150 and it should be the same as most MFM type drives are.

I uploaded a few pictures to a album http://imgur.com/a/P4kzf#0

I have the cables for the floppy drive and the data data and control cables for the hard drive

EDIT1: @Agent Orange I looked up the the controller you mentioned and that looks to be the part I have thanks
EDIT2: Just saw the WD1003-WA3 lable at the bottom of the card :oops:
EDIT3: It boots and everything (yay) has a error 501 and 160. its missing the external battery by the looks off it which is the error 160

Last edited:
EDIT3: It boots and everything (yay) has a error 501 and 160. its missing the external battery by the looks off it which is the error 160
A known cause of the "501-CRT Error" error on an IBM 5170 (AT) is having only a monochrome video card fitted, and motherboard switch SW1 set to the 'color' position.
SW1 is the small switch located near the power connectors. Try setting SW1 to the rear position. Does that remove the 501 error?

160 or 106 ?

Ah my bad I was trying to remember the error code from memory and it is not 160 it is 162, switching the SW1 to the rear got rid of the 501

Back